Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from South Bucks

chicharrero

Hello stargazers

I am just getting back into astronomy (which was a big childhood hobby) and have just acquired very cheaply a second hand TAL 1. Solid as a rock, looks awesome (though I still need to convince my wife of this) and looking forward to trying it out if we ever get a clear night.

I've found past threads on TALs on this site invaluable so thank you to everyone for you advice!

Thank you everyone.

Just popped outside for a quick look with the new telescope. Lots of wispy cloud, but got some great views of the Moon, Jupiter clearly showing two main cloud bands and some other detail if my eyes weren't deceiving me plus the four Galilean satellites, and an open cluster in Auriga, M36 I think but not too sure as I was just sort of aiming in the general direction of the three open clusters and wiggling it around until I found something. And my wife was impressed too.

The telescope seems to be in pretty good shape. Nice smooth mount. No vibrations. I noticed four pointy bits coming off brighter stars - is that an unavoidable feature or something to look into? Also I could see some dust that I guess must be on the surface of the eyepiece or Barlow when looking at the Moon. Is there a safe way of cleaning this? Otherwise everything seemed clear and in focus.

When I've got a bit more time (early start at work tomorrow morning) I'll be going out with my Turn Left at Orion and being a bit more systematic about things...

On 13/03/2017 at 22:53, Swoop1 said:

Not far from me- Marlow.

A couple of good societies nearby- High Wycombe meet between Beaconsfield and Amersham

http://www.wycombeastro.org

Maidenhead meet at Stubbings, just off the A404M

http://www.maidenhead-astro.net/public/Home/index

I went to a meeting of Wycombe Astro the other week. It was informative and entertaining and they seemed like a nice bunch. They meet just down the road from me so, time permitting, I will probably join and go along when I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived