Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader neodymium filter

Hi.... I have just received a Baader Neodymium filter in the hope it slightly improves my views of Jupiter. Last night I could only look at the moon for a few seconds as it was far too bright so my question is...... Will this take some glare off the moon to enable me to view it a little more comfortably and for longer?

Thanks..... Scott

It will remove a little of the glare, yes. Not a lot though.

It's funny but I don't find that I need to filter wht moon even with my 12" dobsonian. I guess our eyes are all a bit different :dontknow:

I didn't find the Neodymium any help with lunar observing.  However, it acts as a superb contrast filter for Mars and, to a lesser extent for Jupiter.

To reduce glare for lunar observing, I find my best tool is a variable polarising filter.  I find the Meade offering the easiest to use because I can tune the amount of attenuation without having to remove the eyepiece.

Image result for meade variable polarizing filter

Nice filter Scott. Have one myself (along with a few other kinds of filters too). You will find it will help with reducing some of the glare from the moon, and depending on seeing conditions help tease out some details on the surface of Jupiter too. I find sometimes a blue filter (80a) helps better sometimes, but again this is all dependant on all ours eyes which handle colour differently. :) 

It's a good filter and flexible too. I used to have one but now tend to view planets and moon unfiltered even with my 16" dob. Just put up with the glare for a minute or two and when your pupil contracts it's all more comfy.

Hi Scott, does your 200p come with a large plastic slot in cap like my flex-tube did?  When I looked at the moon a couple of nights ago I put that in place and took off the removable small plastic cup.  This helped with the glare a lot by reducing the aperture of the telescope considerably.  The other thing I've got to try is a variable polarising filter - I've enough experience with using one in photography to know this will help, but it seemed a bit fiddly to keep removing and twisting it (although I have seen a You Tube where the guy unscrewed it and placed the second part in the top of the rubber eye-cup on the EP, but this seems far from ideal).  However the arrival of a cheap Barlow provides a solution - use a higher mm EP and put half the filter into the Barlow and the other half onto the EP, then you can just twist the EP (rather than removing it each time) to tone down Luna as much as you like and either use it with or without the plastic aperture reducer.  Both these are cheap and cheerful things to try :-D

3 hours ago, JOC said:

Hi Scott, does your 200p come with a large plastic slot in cap like my flex-tube did?  When I looked at the moon a couple of nights ago I put that in place and took off the removable small plastic cup.  This helped with the glare a lot by reducing the aperture of the telescope considerably.  

This works no doubt but of course reduces your scope to a 50mm scope. Not very good for high magnification / resolution.

3 hours ago, JOC said:

The other thing I've got to try is a variable polarising filter - I've enough experience with using one in photography to know this will help, but it seemed a bit fiddly to keep removing and twisting it... 

This is why the Meade Variable polarising filter is so handy.  You can alter the filter orientation without having to take your eye away from the eyepiece.

Hi Michael, that's what I think I can achieve with the Barlow addition - I'm going to give it a try before I spring for yet another purchase, but the Meade filter has clearly thought through the problem.

@Scott BrownI like that filter a lot even on the moon with my 200mm reflector, the Baader Moon and Skyglow Neodymium. Try looking at a windows screen with the filter only, to see the contrast effect it has on it, I think it's a great enhancement for the really small details on the moon and planets, for me it's helping with that.

It's subtle but beneficial while sketching an object on the moon, it's also good to enhance the view of details and colors of features like the festoons on Jupiter.

:thumbright:

1 hour ago, Alien_Photons said:

I have a Badder Neo filter but for the moon the best view is through a pair if Oakley's. UV, polarising and prescription not to mention you look good in them night and day win win.

hahahah :p

Especially at night (:

The Baader Neodymium will bring out great detail on many Solar-System subjects. But a variable-polarizeris the way to fly to cut the glare when our twin-planet is approaching, or at, totality. I see the #80A Blue mentioned alot also by Moon observers (and planets). But one filter that's better still - for smaller aperture telescope-users, is the #82A Light-Blue. Works great on bringing out contrast - without excessive darkening of the view. And another filter to try - with great results, too - is a #11 Yellow-Green.

Some have found the #11 is as good as the Neodymium! Your mileage may vary -

Dave - Filter-Nut

I got a filter set with my scope, 4 filters- red, yellow, blue and neutral density. I found the ND filter made a significant difference to the discomfort of the glare from a full or approaching full  moon and it made some difference the other night when observing Jupiter.

I am new to the astro field and have yet to try other filter types on a scope. My previous photography habit has familiarised me with polarising filters and I intend to obtain and try various filters as time (and Mrs Swoops magnanimity) allows.

Personally I find it useful, but mostly only when the moon is close to full. At that point it is uncomfortable for me to look at it, even only through a 5'' Reflector. Not painful, just uncomfortable and the filter helps quite a bit with that.

I've personally never found all that much use for the Neodymium filter, although on the Moon it does make low power views much less blinding, but not enough that I can instantly refer to a moon atlas as my eyes still need a little time to adjust. It also reduces the glare on Jupiter, again I've never really noticed the difference in detail myself, but there must be some because my old Dad, whose eyesight isn't the best, could not see the red spot despite numerous attempts, but finally got it when I put the Neodymium on.

Having used this filter now on 2 or 3 occasions it definitely takes a wee bit of the glare away from the Moon and Jupiter, I thought it gave a very slight improvement in detail when viewing Jupiter, not a lot but there was a slight improvement but that was on some good viewing nights when the view without the filter was excellent anyway and it did give a lovely contrast on the moon ( for me anyway )..... Scott

Archived