Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A nice GRS and Io shadow transit.....

chiltonstar

For those of us with the promised clear sky last night, there was a nice GRS and Io/Io shadow transit. In reality, the sky here was covered in fast moving streamers of cloud, and the seeing was of the "seen through rippling waves" variety. Never mind!

I'm no good at drawing so I did a quicky ASI224 image or two, which pretty well matched the visual view. GRS on left, just appearing and shadow on right. Interesting that the relative positions don't quite match the SkySafari Pro simulation, but I suppose that rotating storms don't exactly match the rules for planets:-

Chris

Untitled-1.jpg

Nice report Chris :smiley:

Pretty good image for something quickly taken and under the conditions.

Very "ripply" here as well last night. Started out well then fell apart. Must have had those high streamers here too.

nice capture chris well done.i also noticed that the positions on stellarium was a bit different to what I was seeing and imageing too.

hopefully some good seeing nights to come.

bob.

On 13/03/2017 at 10:50, bob-c said:

nice capture chris well done.i also noticed that the positions on stellarium was a bit different to what I was seeing and imageing too.

hopefully some good seeing nights to come.

bob.

Yes, I noticed that as well. Stellarium was a good 20 minutes or so ahead of the actual Io eclipse.

4 hours ago, spaceman_spiff said:

Yes, I noticed that as well. Stellarium was a good 20 minutes or so ahead of the actual Io eclipse.

For Stellarium, I seem to remember you have to set the "Simulate light speed" tickbox to get Earth-correct times. I'm not sure that SS Pro needs this.....expert?

Chris

Archived