Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Webcam or Meade LPI Camera

Hi has anybody got any advice on choosing a webcam? I have just been reading this month’s sky at night’s article on imaging the solar system with a webcam. It recommends a Phillips spc-900nc with an ir blocking filter screwed into a webcam adapter. I was wondering if buying a meade lpi camera would work just as well? Thanks Dean

I know that the standard webcam stated, as well as the Toucam Pro can be modded for long exposure so that you can capture DSO's as well as planetary stuff.

I do not think the LPI can do this.

In addition a modded toucam can also be used a decent guide camera if you ever intend to do long exposure.

Hi

I have the Meade LPI - Its pretty starightforward to use, best for the moon, not bad for planets, and the exposure time can be up to 15 seconds so usable for bright DSOs - eg Orion nebula, Ring nebula, open clusters. On the other hand I've had no success at all with galaxies with it. However it's cheap and works (almost) straight out of the box

Archived