Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie from Texas

RDBeck

Hello everyone; greetings from the Texas coast (near Houston).  I have stopped by several times to gaze and joined because it appears there are discussions on oacapture with the author.

I'm a newcomer to astronomy and am interested in astrophotography.  I know my equipment (Alt/Az mounted 90mm MCT) may be limiting on the photo side.  I thought I needed to start somewhere without spending too much money until I was more sure this is what I wanted to do.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/03/2017 at 20:42, RDBeck said:

Hello everyone; greetings from the Texas coast (near Houston).  I have stopped by several times to gaze and joined because it appears there are discussions on oacapture with the author.

I'm a newcomer to astronomy and am interested in astrophotography.  I know my equipment (Alt/Az mounted 90mm MCT) may be limiting on the photo side.  I thought I needed to start somewhere without spending too much money until I was more sure this is what I wanted to do.

Hi RDBeck welcome to SGL.  You have the right idea about starting off sensibly, the urge to empty your wallet will surely follow if you get the astro photography bug.  I bought my little ETX 80 when I was in Greenville (work trip) almost 10 years ago now.  Its worked perfectly over the years and although it's the most basic scope I have, I really enjoy using it, especially for solar work; used it last year to follow the transit of Mercury.  Good to have you on board.

Jim

Archived