Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first ever Hydrogen Alpha photo.....

Craney

The PST arrived 2 days ago and since then I have been stationed at the lounge window for the faintest whiff of a shadow or direct sunlight.   Well today, I had some blue sky and about 30 mins in which to blat a few frames off with a Canon 60D  using eyepiece projection ( Baader Zoom).    Not much time to record exposure times and ISO's ,  I just tried to get something before the clouds and a resident pine tree spoiled the party. Anyway I'll save all the technical noodlings to a later date.

So here they are.  

Even got some prom action  !!    Wow,  one of those special moments when a long held ambition materialises in front of your eyes.

Any helpful suggestions about how to improve the images and to progress would be most helpful.     I think I need a good mono-webcam to bring out more surface detail, although it is ironic that I choose a spotless day   ( in the the literal sense)  to test the PST.

Cheers,

Sean

IMG_5074 - Copy.JPG

proms- Copy.JPG

Cheers David,   Yes the shutter was going likie a paparazzi convention !!    There was always some cloud draped across the solar surface apart from a glorious 5 minutes.

I think it is going to become addictive.   I have  ZWO 120mc  which I might give a go,  although I have read that mono-cams are better.

Sean. 

Thanks  everybody.   I have finally found an Astro-photography theme that will not make me grumpy , sleepless , frustrated (  well...early days...)  and lacking in vitamin D.

Although the wallet might take a battering in the next few months !!!!.....  yikes.  That's a common theme in astronomy.

Cheers Tooth_dr,   Yes the focusing was a bit hap-hazard.  Fleece over my head, and trying to balance the  ISO and shutter speed on 'Live-view'.   I was taken aback to see prominences, I thought that was something that years of experience brought out.

Thanks Pete. I will investigate the mono option.  Is that for the  DSLR or the  ZWO120mc  ( or both) ?

Thanks Charl.   Will look at those.   Amazing what a PST can produce.  

Sean.

Interesting....  motor focuser....   not thought of that option......  That would help a treat.   I did find the absence of any hard edged contrast features made it difficult to get a focus lock.  Especially when you are flitting between LCD screen and focuser.

Used the solar limb in the end with 'Live-View'.    The natural fall-off in  intensity of a spheroid shaped object  at the edges again makes that difficult.    You have got to admire what some people achieve.

S.

Hi and welcome to Solar Imaging! First time I have seen anyone on here from Harrogate as well. Yes, mono planetary camera is more forgiving but I did get some DSLR shots with my Lunt 50 before I swapped it for the 60 and purchased my ASI 174.  Examples on my flickr link in my signature.

I have just been reading a forum post  ( iceinspace 2015' ish)  where a chap recommends the ASI 174 as the way to go. ... and you guide with it as well....

Edit:

ah...   and it is over £600.....     maybe one for the future.... 

Wow great result there. I know how hard it is to get anything with DSLR + PST, as evidenced by my complete failure (years ago) to get any images! Yes mono is the way to go. Changing to mono takes things to a whole new level. Good luck

Iain 

Cheers John,    hey ! .....everytime the PST comes out I will be living the dream .    Quite like to make a GIF  sequence of prominences dancing on the Solar limb.....and then possibly active sunspot regions..... and then.......  I have got to admit, it is scanning through these forums and seeing what is possible that gets you hooked.

Archived