Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

SGL 2017 SP

4 posts in this topic

I'm happy owner of  25×100 CELESTRON binos, i want to know :

a) is really an improvement to use grey filter for lunar observation ? 

b)is it possible to screw filter on these oculars ?

Thanks for your help.

Posted (edited)

a) No; the sunlit Moon has about the same albedo as sunlit tarmac. However, a deep red filter can be useful for seeing detail on a Full Moon.

b). No.

Edited by BinocularSky
1 person likes this

On 3/13/2017 at 15:21, BinocularSky said:

However, a deep red filter can be useful for seeing detail on a Full Moon.

Can you recommend a good "deep red" filter? I wouldn't know what is "deep red" and what isn't...

:happy11:

15 hours ago, iPeace said:

Can you recommend a good "deep red" filter? I wouldn't know what is "deep red" and what isn't...

:happy11:

Wratten #29.

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Skaikru
      Hello All,
      I am new to this forum and find this forum extremely useful. I have gone through almost all the threads requesting advice on the binoculars for stargazing and hopefully I will not frustrate someone for this additional thread.
      I live near San Francisco, CA, USA and in my early 30s. I am planning a trip to Bryce Canyon in 2 months. That place is supposed have very less light pollution and is recommended for Astronomy/Stargazing. I have bought the Sky Safari 5 android app to get me started into astronomy and hopefully I will continue this as a hobby for a long time to come. 
      I have decided to buy 10x50 bins and have found few of these below that are in my sub $99.99 range. I am looking for the best value for the $$ in this range. I will be carrying them in flight and will not be able to baby sit them.
      https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/421389-REG/Bushnell_120150_10x50_Legacy_WP_Binocular.html  - $84.99 - BaK-4 - Fully Multi Coated - Waterproof - Fogproof https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/917674-REG/celestron_71424_10x50_cavalry_binocular.html - $89.95 - BaK-4 - Fully Multi Coated - Waterproof - Fogproof - Nitrogen Filled https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086598-REG/celestron_71362_10x50_landscout_binocular.html - $74.95 - BAK4 - Fully Multi Coated - Waterproof - Fogproof - Nitrogen Filled http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/binoculars/trooper-10-x-50-dps.html - $69.99 -($20 coupon) - BK-7  http://www.telescope.com/Binoculars/Astronomy-Binoculars/Orion-Scenix-10x50-Wide-Angle-Binoculars/pc/-1/c/5/sc/72/p/9333.uts - $102.99 - BAK-4 - Multi Coated (Considering because I read some reviews about quality optics and wider field of view) Please let me know your recommendations, if you have any.
      Thanks a lot
    • By C-Sparkes
      Hello
      I have recently brought my first telescope and am looking to upgrade the eye pieces. 
      I have a celestron powerseeker 127eq and was wondering which eyepiece set would best suit the telescope for planets and galaxies.
      Thanks. 
    • By Knighty2112
      After upgrading to a C8 SCT, I have for sale my Celestron Nexstar 4SE Maksutov OTA. This is a cracking scope, which punches well above its size. Used this on my Goto mounts for the last 6 months and given me great views through it. Please note that this is originally intended for the Celestron SE Goto mounts, which have fixed dovetails attached on the left side of the tube on the scope. However, before I sourced an actual SE Goto mount I used to use it on my Skywatcher Stardiscover Goto mount with no issues at all by replacing the fixed dovetail on the scope with some tube rings with a dovetail so it could be fixed on the right hand side for that particular mount. This also has a fixed visual back, with a flip mirror with access to fit a camera, or other EP in the lower position if needed. Optics are in excellent condition, as is the tube itself (see images below)
      I am looking for £100 for the OTA only with the Astrozap dew shield. If required I can also supply the tube rings and small dovetail to allow it to fit on other mounts OK via the right hand side of the tube. This would be an extra £12 for the rings and the dovetail. If you need the tube rings fitted before I send it off let me know. I will of course also supply the original dovetail that came fixed originally to the OTA also.
      Can be collected in person, or willing to meet up perhaps (PM me to discuss), or willing to post via Parcel Force Express 48 for an additional cost of postage for £19.28. Payment via PayPal (friends and family no extra charge, but add 3.5% for payed for services), direct bank transfer, or if collecting/meet up it can be cash on collection.
      Pictures below. Any questions please ask.
      Gus  
      Note: finderscope and mounts are shown for reference only and are not included in the sale. 
      Fixed on a Celestron 6/8 SE Goto mount below;
      Withdrawn from sale

Fixed on a Skywatcher Stardiscover Goto mount below;

Tube rings and dovetail extra for £12 below;

• By newbie alert
      Selling my celestron starsense auto align...mint condition..used only a few times but now got my eye on a polemaster as it would suit my needs better I think..
      £200..