Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_satellites_v2.jpg

4 posts in this topic

I'm happy owner of  25×100 CELESTRON binos, i want to know :

a) is really an improvement to use grey filter for lunar observation ? 

b)is it possible to screw filter on these oculars ?

Thanks for your help.

Posted (edited)

a) No; the sunlit Moon has about the same albedo as sunlit tarmac. However, a deep red filter can be useful for seeing detail on a Full Moon.

b). No.

Edited by BinocularSky
1 person likes this

On 3/13/2017 at 15:21, BinocularSky said:

However, a deep red filter can be useful for seeing detail on a Full Moon.

Can you recommend a good "deep red" filter? I wouldn't know what is "deep red" and what isn't...

:happy11:

15 hours ago, iPeace said:

Can you recommend a good "deep red" filter? I wouldn't know what is "deep red" and what isn't...

:happy11:

Wratten #29.

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Ryohei56
      Hi there.
       I finally decided to replace my old Orion Starshoot with a nice new Neximage 5, and at the same time got a laptop sporting Windows 10.
      The camera came with iCap software, version 2.2, and installation proceeded without incident. I got to the point where iCap was recognising the camera, but when I clicked on 'OK' iCap stopped almost immediately, at which point an error message came up announcing that iCap had closed and Windows was (allegedly) looking for a solution. I repeated the 'launch' exercise several times, always with the same result.
      It's really frustrating, as I just can't get on with imaging at all. Does anyone have an idea what I could try to get my Neximage up & running properly?
      Thanks
      Alan Stewart
    • By Knighty2112
      After collecting my new Celestron Nexstar 6/8SE Goto mount off Parallaxerr last Tuesday, I got a brief chance tonight earlier on to give it a brief first light. So, here is a brief summary of how things went. The scope I used on the mount was my Celestron 4SE Maksutov;
      Setting up. Compared to my other Goto mount (Skywatcher Stardiscover AZ Goto mount), getting the mount levelled and set up was much easier. Trying to do this with the other Goto mount can take some time, especially when trying to fit the top Goto part to the mount itself in the dark, which requires a torch and some patience to get the securing screws located correctly. On the Celestron mount you can do this very easily, with notches in the top of the mount to allow easy alignment with the securing screws.
      Alignment. As there were quite a few clouds in the sky, I went for the quickest alignment that the Celestron mount offers; one star alignment. Not expecting much after the initial alignment on Sirius, I was pleasantly surprised. After taking the tour option to look at some double stars, planetary nebula etc, all objects appeared in my 20mm EP fov. I then used the Constellation tour, and looked at objects in Auriga. M36, 37 & 38 fell nicely in the fov also.
      Looking forward to doing a three star alignment as soon as weather permits, so I will do a more detailed report when possible. From just a brief hour session using just one star alignment if this mount can get most things in view doing just that then it should perform even better when a three star alignment is performed.  
    • By DeepSkyMan
      Hi there, could someone please provide depth and thread pitch for the front cell screws on an 8" Edge HD, as in the empty socket portrayed in the attached photo:8" Edge HD, as in the empty socket portrayed in the attached pho

Kind Regards
      Paul  J.
    • By DeepSkyMan
      Hi there, I'm wondering if any SGL members might have a spare secondary assembly for an 8" EdgeHD.  Basically, the previous owner of my Edge did something abominable to the collimation screws which mean that they will not move.  I suspect the original owner has used a threadlock product or similar on the collimation screws.  I am therefore looking to replace the entire secondary assembly.  Shipping the scope off to David Hinds is one possibility and I am pursuing this, however I'm also looking at other options, such as replacing the secondary assembly myself.

Kind Regards
      Paul J.
    • By Lorin Robinson
      New Celestron 8SE owner and not impressed. Alignment is a bitch.  I finally "succeeded" with the three-star align and then the scope would only take me sort of close to where I wanted to go.  Had to adjust manually.  How spot on is alignment supposed to be?  Tracking?  I can't tell from the inadequate instruction manual how to engage tracking once I'm on an object.  The whole exercise was supposed to allow me to do some astrophotography with my Canon 5D and related camera-to-scope attachments.  Finally, I was surprised to learn (I think) that one needs to go through the alignment process for each session.  The "computer" apparently doesn't hold the alignment.  That right?  Again, I can't find any reference in the instruction manual!   If this is the case, it's certainly inconvenient.  Any help or advice will be appreciated.