Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_widefield.jpg.36065d79cb2625eb299137a5b4432c96.jpg

le Nordiste    0

I'm happy owner of  25×100 CELESTRON binos, i want to know :

a) is really an improvement to use grey filter for lunar observation ? 

b)is it possible to screw filter on these oculars ?

Thanks for your help.

BinocularSky    1,688
Posted (edited)

a) No; the sunlit Moon has about the same albedo as sunlit tarmac. However, a deep red filter can be useful for seeing detail on a Full Moon.

b). No.

Edited by BinocularSky
  • Like 1

iPeace    2,221
On 3/13/2017 at 15:21, BinocularSky said:

However, a deep red filter can be useful for seeing detail on a Full Moon.

Can you recommend a good "deep red" filter? I wouldn't know what is "deep red" and what isn't...

:happy11:

BinocularSky    1,688
15 hours ago, iPeace said:

Can you recommend a good "deep red" filter? I wouldn't know what is "deep red" and what isn't...

:happy11:

Wratten #29.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jupiters
      Greetings!

I've had my telescope for a couple of months now and I still didn't get the chance to try the sky align option, I watched some video and tried aligning my scope many times but it never seemed to work. I only use it to watch the moon and I have to manually move it every minute or so because it keeps getting out of frame, how can I set it to track the moon on its own? I wanted to see Saturn a month or two back but I couldn't do it, I'm planning on trying again tomorrow as I'll know where it'll be in relation to the moon and mercury. Any tips you can give me? I really want to see Saturn. (Also, will my 25mm eye piece that came with the telescope work to see Saturn?)

Thank you
    • By Soleil
      Hi everyone!
      I am looking for a good beginner’s telescope that we could enjoy for years to come. My 10-year old son has wanted a telescope forever and is constantly reading up on the sky in encyclopaedias. 
      For my tight single-mom budget, I have found two options that seem appealing (I am enclined to go with a Dobsonian over a refractor, following comments on better image clarity):
      1. Skywatcher 130mm/f650 with EQ mount (2nd hand for CA$125) including 25 wide angle, 10mm and 3.6mm.
      2. Celestron PowerSeeker 127 EQ (new for CA$200 including taxes) including 20mm, 4mm and 3x Barlow lenses, The Sky software and a 2-year warranty (and although the website calls it a "refractor" telescope, I’m pretty sure it is a Dob).
      Could you please advise me on these two options? 
      Thank you 😊

• By mrdusty
      Which would be better, a 13% or 18% transparency moon filter?
      It is for an Orion Funscope 100mm or Meade Etx-60At
      Thanks
    • By Sunshine
      Hello! i am seeking the help of those with experience in refractors please!!
      I have been an amateur since i was just a wee lad, i have always owned catadioptric and reflectors of many types, unfortunately short of my current Lunt LS60PT and the department store pea shooter i had as a 12 year old and my which spent way more time peering through windows in the apartment complex across the street than gazing at the sky i have NO experience with refractors. 
      This is where forums like this come in, ok this is what id like to do, my budget is around US1,200, for this i would be looking at a doublet no doubt, i would like it to be in the F5-F7 range? this would offer some flexibility for both visual and future basic AP dabbling.
      I mainly would like this refractor for planetary, lunar and double star observing, i do hear that nothing beats a refractor for these objects and I'm itching to see for myself.
      I realize that this budget will not get me an NP101 or any other triplet for that matter, but i would like the best for that price in the 100mm range preferably since id love to stretch its legs on lunar and planetary. i also own a 12" lightbridge but this is definitely not a grab and go scope which is what id love to have now, CA would be an issue not so much for visual but future photo work id like something that performs reasonably well in the CA department. 
      if anyone out there has had much experience with refractors id love to hear from you! 
      Thank you all!!!

• By jschusterman
      Hey all, I wanted to get some opinions. I'm looking into 2" filters to attach to a Baader MPCC and can't figure out if I should go with UHC, HA (and whether 7nm, 12nm, or something else), or some other form of light pollution filter. Here's the setup...
      Celestron 8" Newt (hence needing to attach it to the MPCC, which then goes straight into an adapter that I bought that fits the 2" input so I can still get focus).
      UNmodded Nikon D3100
      Aiming for brighter galaxies and nebulae in light polluted skies (I live in NYC but drive out anywhere from 45min to 2.5 hours away. Still polluted of course).
      Hoping to keep it under $200, so that would rule out some of the Astronomik HA filters.
      Just generally want to combat light pollution from cities as well as be able to shoot on moonlit nights. And I'd love to get more detail contrast like we all see in HA exposures.
      I've also read conflicting reports that HA filters are less useful or outright useless on unmodded DLSRs, but there's no consensus. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
      - Josh