SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Takahashi FC-76 DCU Review

The Takahashi FC-76 comes in two regularly available varieties, the FC-76DS and the FC-76DC.  The DS is a larger body scope weighing around 3kg but thanks to a sliding dew shield is actually shorter for transport than its narrow body, lighter weight (1.8kg) cousin, the DC.  Unfortunately the DC model has a fixed dew shield which means at 650mm in length it is too long to be aircraft cabin baggage compliant, and the DS model is perhaps a little heavy to be considered portable under any circumstance.  Fortunately a third option is available in the form of the FC-76 Objective Unit upgrade which screws in place of the FS-60 lens cell, to create the FC-76 DCU, a light weight and highly portable (because it splits) 3" f/7.5 refractor.  It is also possible to create this model from scratch without having to purchase the FS-60.  After several years of ownership, I have now written a review which you can find on the link below.  This scope will be accompanying me to Africa on my honeymoon later this year and will no doubt provide some memorable stargazing experiences.

http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2017/03/12/takahashi-fc-76-dcu-review/

FC-76-DCU-Split.jpg.b6d8f98b020c5cbbd5de15e664636477.jpg

The two components of the FC-76 DCU, the Objective Unit and Focuser Unit.

That's a great review, Matthew. I liked the way you built the telescope from it's components. Very enterprising! Curious that Tak do not sell the 76DCU kit outside Japan, though.

Hope you enjoy using it in Africa.

Jeremy

• 1 year later...

Archived