SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Giants of the sickle.

IMG_4604.thumb.JPG.e65edeab9e817d55000384d330a995c3.JPGIMG_4600.thumb.JPG.794f9b5b1d1dd9169db3188e822b3992.JPGThe stars of the "sickle " form a hook and handle at the front of Leo. There are some interesting giant stars in this chain, that may be enjoyed in a small scope.

Regulus (α) is a blue white giant with a multiple group of four stars, including a close white dwarf. It's 3.5 times larger than the Sun and 140 times more luminous at 77 light years away. There's a wide companion at 174.3".
Algieba (γ) is a beautiful orange giant , 180 times brighter than the Sun, some 90 light years away. There's a close companion at 4.6", a really stunning sight, grapefruit orange in colour.
Ras Elased australis (ε) is a yellow giant , 360 times brighter than the Sun at 250 light years away. It takes 200 days to rotate.
Adhafera (ζ) is a yellow white giant , 270 times brighter than our Sun at 274 light years away. There is an ultra wide companion (35 Leonis) at 5' separation.
Rassalas (μ) is an orange giant , 65 times brighter than our Sun at 124 light years distant.
Alters (λ) is some 330 light years away.
A remarkable collection of stars which I hope you'll enjoy when you spot the "sickle."
Clear skies ! Nick.

Very useful as usual Nick :icon_biggrin:

Algieba was the very first double star that I managed to split with my old Tasco 60mm refractor. For some reason I went for this one over Mizar - more of a challenge perhaps !.

Nice group of stars Nick, definitely worth a go the next time I get some clear skies :happy8:
With the dots joined as they are the top image looks a little like a frog !! Useful for star hopping :help:

Archived