Narrowband

Eyepieces for 200p

Hi, I have the 8mm and the 15mm. can say it was a noticable improvement. Got them for around £50 each. With the 200mm you may be able to go as low as the 5mm your preference depending (I went for 8mm as i has a 130mm at the time. Sky's the Limit do offer a try before you keep method so you could get the 5 and 8 to see which suits you, then just return the other.

All zooms tend to be wide at the short focal length and narrow at the long focal lengths. For this reason I would prefer individual eyepieces to cover those longer focal lengths. The place where a zoom comes into its own would be to cover the high power viewing where the atmosphere is getting in the way. You would need a Barlow to get the usual 8-24mm zoom into this area, probably a 1.5x if it is the Skyliner 200p you have or a 2x in the Explorer 200p. Quality wise I've heard it said that the Baader clickstop is optically as good as the Starguider range but I have no first hand experience with an decent zooms. 

I have the 200P f/6 and the BST Starguiders work just fine for my needs, they have shown an improvement over my default EP's. If you have the 200P Explorer f/5 then they should still be fine. If they don't perform, return them.
Having acquired a small collection of eyepieces, I still favour the Starguiders.

The BSTs have a large following on this site, but I much prefer the Celestron X-cel LXs. Eyepieces are very much a personal choice and it is much better if you can try them out before committing, perhaps at a local club.

7 hours ago, fiestazetecmk2 said:

I'm not sure abut a zoom.are they as good as a fixed .has anyone compared zoom v fixed focal .

No they are not. I just use mine for planetary viewing. I find they allow me to get

the right amount of mag , on  what ever I am viewing,  depending on the conditions.

2 hours ago, fiestazetecmk2 said:

Thanks for all the replys.going to give this some thought.I want to make the correct choice of eyepieces. As I will only do this once.

Good luck with the "only doing this once" part :wink:

I think we have all said that from time to time over the years and then you have a peek through something rather nicer and ...........

1 hour ago, John said:

Good luck with the "only doing this once" part :wink:

I think we have all said that from time to time over the years and then you have a peek through something rather nicer and ...........

Ive only ever bought EP's once. All different brands and sizes, but ive only bought them once.

:icon_biggrin:

On 10/03/2017 at 22:00, fiestazetecmk2 said:

Hi.looking to  replace my supplied eyepieces .can you recomended an improvement .I heard bst are a worthwhile upgrade.will these stand me in good stead for many years .I'm thinking 8mm.18mm.25mm.32mm.

Out of all of these, i think the only one i'd change is the 18mm. I'd go for 15mm instead.

8,15,25,32mm is a nice range. By all accounts i have heard that the BST's are fantastic value for money. I'll be buying one in the near future just to see what everyone is talking about. The Vixen NPL's (of which i own 3) are said to be on par with the BST's and the cost isnt much between both. Most people do not like the NPL's because of the short eye relief.

Those are interesting powers, they are actually the same has mine :p .  I have to bring up some points to discuss why these were my choices.

The reason I have a 32mm and a 25mm

--> My 32mm is 2" with a slightly lager exit pupil to look at large faint nebulae while the 25mm is 1 1/4" and has less AFOV but it will give better quality and produce less coma then the 32mm on this F5 scope. It's fun to have both but the 32mm is mainly a nebula tool I use with a 2" UHC filter (and ... actually I use it all the time on stars and clusters  :icon_biggrin:). Consider the fact that the scope is a F5, when it's time to buy a 32mm you may want to spend more money to get a better eyepiece with better optic for coma correction.

The reason I have a 25mm and a 18mm

--> I used to have a zoom 24mm to 8mm and the setting at 18mm was my favourite on many objects (55x), it's a power I could use absolutely all the time has I learned with the Zoom, that was my reason to get a 18mm. LukeSkywatcher proposed the 15mm, I think that's a good idea instead. (Still I would not replace my 18 for something else :p because I love it so much)

--> Finally, at the beginning of all, I had a 1 1/4 Barlow 2x, with the zoom. The logic was around the Barlow really, my goal of having the 25mm truly was to use it with the barlow to get 80x (a power I like very much and instead of buying another 12mm) and also have the lowest power with a 1 1/4" eyepiece, that was important for me. These are personal choices and maybe not the perfect logic for everyone.

I think 32, 25, 15, 8 is a great sequence.

1 hour ago, fiestazetecmk2 said:

will be selling my supplied skywatcher ones if anyone is interested.

I suspect most Members here already have a couple of sets of those ;)

I'd recommend holding on to them, if you decide to sell it in the future, you'll want them in the offering :)

The Skywatcher 25mm is still useable, and probably the better EP of the two supplied.
The 8mm Starguider was my replacement for the supplied 10mm with no regrets. You may find on axis the 18mm BST will better the supplied 25mm?
I chose a 32mm 2" format for my wide field, which resulted in the purchase of the Skywatcher Panaview, in order to see more of the Andromeda Galaxy M31 as the 25mm was not wide enough at the time.
I now advise using the telescopes data plate, to source the first two eyepieces, providing one that matches the focal ratio, and one twice the ratio. for me thats a 6mm and 12mm by whatever means! a 6mm and 12mm or a 12mm with a 2xBarlow. For a wide field EP on a Newtonian, the focal ratio x your dilated pupil size or thereabout. My 6mm is provided by the William Optic SPL. its a great eyepiece, was highly recommended, but its just an alternative for not having a 6mm Starguider.

I think my 2 supplied EP's were slightly better than the ones often supplied with the 200P.  I've been quite happy with them, but have steadily been accumulating a rather mismatched motley collection as noted in my signature.  I'm an experimenter - I've yet to decide what I'm keeping, but despite what I've bought the supplied 25mm and 10mm are still quite good.  FWIW my best combo so far is the Meade in the x2 Barlow, but I think it is worth persisting with the TV's.

10 minutes ago, JOC said:

I think my 2 supplied EP's were slightly better than the ones often supplied with the 200P.  I've been quite happy with them, but have steadily been accumulating a rather mismatched motley collection as noted in my signature.  I'm an experimenter - I've yet to decide what I'm keeping, but despite what I've bought the supplied 25mm and 10mm are still quite good.  FWIW my best combo so far is the Meade in the x2 Barlow, but I think it is worth persisting with the TV's.

Sometimes Skywatcher supply 10mm and  25mm plossls with their scopes rather than the more usual modified achromat / kellner types. The plossl is the better performer in a faster scope so I'd like to see it as the stock kit rather than those MA's / Kellners personally.

I've taken a look in my box - the EPs supplied with my telescope were a 26mm (not 25mm as I wrote above), and a 10mm both marked Plossl 26mm (10mm) multi-coated - sounds from what John writes as though I struck lucky.  Not that I know much, but they seem 2 quite sound little EP's

I have the 5,8,12,15,18 and 25mm BST`s I'm pretty certain there is no 32mm I have seen a 3.2mm but never bothered with that as it would never get used need extraordinary skies for it. As for the rest they are brilliant eyepieces for the money I believe the X`Cel`s are very good as well they are a tad dearer. I would visit your local Astronomy club and try a few eyepieces to see which you like and suit best.

Hi, I use BST , I have the 8,10,15 and 25mm. The 5 mm probably wouldn't cut it on the 200P unless you have perfect conditions. As for the 32mm, BST only go up to 25mm. For the price, you can't go wrong with the BST ep's.

A 32mm BST would have to be restricted to a 52 degree apparent field rather than the 60 degrees that the rest of the range has. I doubt the optical design would be worth doing at a longer focal length than 25mm in the 1.25" format.

Archived