Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

10micron 1000hps vs Mesu200 vs G35f vs ASA...

tocster

Hi all - long time reader, first time poster :icon_biggrin: I have decided to start putting my pennies away for a nice high end mount.  There are a number of options that have my head in a bit of a spin. Currently I have Meade 12 inch ACF, and Skywatcher 190mn as my scopes, and I don't have a permanent setup - the mount will need to be setup each time.  For this reason I was pretty keen on the 10micron mounts, but I was thinking that I might be pushing the weight capacity of the mount, unless I spring for the 2000 model.

I love what I am hearing about the mesu 200, but I don't know how well this will go having to be setup each time.  

My main interest is Astro photography rather than visual. 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi  and welcome to SGL

I bought the 10 Micron 1000HPS after much dithering, it is quick to set up depending how clear your skies are as you need to do a model of the sky before you can start imaging, you can do this before it gets dark enough for imaging a guided mount should be quicker as you only need to PA and start imaging.

The ASA needs a sky model as well and appears more fiddly to set up than the 10Micron.

The Mesu is a bit of a lump so you may need to go to the gym to build up some muscles and appears to need a bit of setting up but once sorted can carry a heck of a load.

The 10Micron GM2000 comes in two bits so not so heavy to set up.

My 10Micron does 30 minutes "unguided" without any problem so guiding is one less thing to fiddle with.

Dave

Another thought, if you're in a hurry, there is quite a long lead time on the Mesu, the 10Micron is generally available from stock

ASA have discontinued the base DDM60 so you'd need the 85 at the thick end of 13k. It does, however come apart into RA and Dec parts and has absolute encoders rather than the relative ones of the 60.

I find my DDM60 easier to get going than my old HEQ5 but I'm not sure I'd use it for mobile imaging as PA is a bit of a faff. The 85 might be better.

Hi Tocster, welcome to SGL.

I set up and take down a Mesu for every session but I am guessing you can get more clear nights in your part of the world in a month than I will see in a year!

The Mesu is a chunky piece of equipment so you would have to take care lifting it on and off your pier/tripod each time but once it's in place I don't think it is any harder to align and get running than any other mount.

I know Lucas Mesu has made a variant where the Dec and RA axis unbolt for ease of portability, if this had been available at the time I would have gone for this as I like to travel to a dark site for imaging.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Steve 

Hello Tocster,

I have a Mesu 200 and it is a very nice mount. It is no more difficult to setup than any other mount I've used. It moves my Edge HD11 around with ease. Reports of after sales service are also very highly rated.

It is heavy but as tomato has said there is a version that splits into two parts. Worth looking at as the mount is cheaper than the others you mention.

Cheers, Ian

I must like the Mesu because I've just bought another one! Pieter Vandevelde on here does use one in mobile mode but it is a bit of a beast to build up. I run an astro guest house so he only builds it up once for the whole week. On a nightly basis... I'm not so sure.

Olly

I don't know the weight of the Mesu, but I did have an EQ8 for a while. It was a very heavy mount to move around. If you are thinking of repeatedly building up and taking down a very heavy mount it becomes a real chore. It took the pleasure away from imaging for me. I now have the 10 Micron, this is virtually the same weight as the EQ6 and much easier to build up and take down. From my point of view weight is a big thing to overcome. Lifting a 30 kilo mount head or a 19 kilo........... each night ?

Best of luck with whatever you choose!

Derek

So it looks like I will (contingent on finance) be looking at getting the Mesu.  The 10micron will come in at almost $18,000 AUD, so unless I can find a second hand one, it is off the table :icon_biggrin:  The Mesu will be closer to $10,000.

On 3/9/2017 at 23:07, tocster said:

Currently I have Meade 12 inch ACF, and Skywatcher 190mn as my scopes, and I don't have a permanent setup - the mount will need to be setup each time. 

Since you already have an Meade ACF, have you considered an LX850 mount , with Starlock for it?

As far as I understand (I've never used one or seen one), you just drop this in place, press a button or two and it does everything else automatically. If they live up to the hype, they seem to be the closest thing yet to a simple setup for photography.

Since you already have the OTA, the price of the mount is comparable to the others you mention

31 minutes ago, tocster said:

So it looks like I will (contingent on finance) be looking at getting the Mesu.  The 10micron will come in at almost $18,000 AUD, so unless I can find a second hand one, it is off the table :icon_biggrin:  The Mesu will be closer to $10,000.

I've just ordered a Mesu, the price landed in Aus will be around $9,000AUD without counterweights.... the 10 week wait will kill me...want it NOW! Will be the second one in Aus.

cheers

Gary (Geelong Australia)

15 hours ago, pete_l said:

Since you already have an Meade ACF, have you considered an LX850 mount , with Starlock for it?

As far as I understand (I've never used one or seen one), you just drop this in place, press a button or two and it does everything else automatically. If they live up to the hype, they seem to be the closest thing yet to a simple setup for photography.

Since you already have the OTA, the price of the mount is comparable to the others you mention

I briefly thought about the 850, but to be honest I am over both Meade and Celestron.  Too many QA issues for me, and poor support in Australia. One of the reasons I am thinking of the Mesu is that it is a quality, hand crafted bit of kit.

Congratulations on your choice, I am sure you won't regret it. I bought a second hand flightcase (on wheels) to keep the Mesu safe when not in use and to make moving it around easier.

Please make sure you give the operation of lifting it on and off your pier/tripod the respect it deserves. It is a very robust mount but definitely  will not take kindly to being dropped from 1 metre on to the floor, and your foot will not take kindly to breaking it's fall either.

Steve

image.jpg

On 19/03/2017 at 23:34, pete_l said:

Have you checked the net for owner accounts of the Meade LX850? I think you should.

Olly

Just now, kirkster501 said:

I'm a strong lad.  And I would not want to keep lifting the MESU every time I set up, superb though it is.  It is a beast.

Nor would I. I used to be a strong lad, albeit a little one, but now I'm an old gimmer and my Mesu stays put. My second one is going to stay put as well!!

Olly

I roughly estimate I've done the lift about 70 times, so far without mishap, but I'm rolling the dice every time. 

Hopefully I will have retired and have a permenant Obvs before my number comes up...

Still the lousy British weather helps my odds??

The MESU is also difficult to man-handle.  All too easy to damage one of the protruding motors/encoders by bumping the mount.  I do a lot of weight training and can bench press 140kg.  Seriously, I would not want to keep moving this mount around in the dark and with cold hands.  Asking for trouble.  You may get away with it for months/years even.,  But one day.....

Just now, kirkster501 said:

The MESU is also difficult to man-handle.  All too easy to damage one of the protruding motors/encoders by bumping the mount.  I do a lot of weight training and can bench press 140kg.  Seriously, I would not want to keep moving this mount around in the dark and with cold hands.  Asking for trouble.  You may get away with it for months/years even.,  But one day.....

I have to agree. Like ay risk oft repeated, 'one day' has its day...

Olly

I now do risk assessment for a living, and you are quite right the preferred first step is eliminate it!

However, there are other measures you can take and reducing the load is one of them. If set up and take down is your only option, definitely go for the split version. From the photos I've seen this is as you would expect, properly engineered, and it gives you the option if you don't like the idea of lifting the whole thing.

Before I got the flight case, I moved the mount around on a trolley, this at least reduced the carrying distance and minimised the risk of a trip or slip.

image.jpeg

Archived