Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

8.9% Venus phase tonight 9.3.2017

Pete Presland

A little tougher catching Venus tonight than recent sessions. A lovely 8.9% crescent laying on its side, playing hide and seek with the clouds.

At the moment it seems like catching a very thin crescent Venus in a week or so isn't going to be too difficult. I guess though the reality is going to be, Venus is going to catch the Sun up rather quickly and it will be harder than I think.

58c1b45c4e6b7_2017_03_0917.43UV-IRfilter.png.d08ebbed7006e16bfa7e2d9f15109db7.png

Nice one Pete :icon_biggrin:

I just managed to view this (also through thin clouds) before Venus dropped below some conifers to the W of our garden. I think this is the thinnest that I've managed to see Venus.

I am going to try and locate it every night from my imaging spot for the next few weeks, even when I am not imaging. hopefully it will help in location when I do want to image. Calsky has it at -4 mag even when its around 3% phase, so it should not be too difficult to capture, weather permitting :icon_biggrin:

Archived