Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Lrlinnell

Autoguide camera with ST-4 interface or without?

I just purchased an Orion CCD autoguide camera that has the built in ST-4 interface. I did so because I thought that would be a cleaner connection directly from the ccd autoguide camera to the mount. But I just read that if you use the CCD ST-4 interface directly to the camera, the protocol does not support providing pointing information to the guide software. e.g. PHD documentation states that if you use CCD -> PHD -> USB 2 serial interface -> hand controller, then PHD can tell what side of the mount the telescope is on and where it is pointing so it can guide better and you don't have to reverse stuff when you flip. But if you use the RT-4 interface, PHD can not obtain that information since the protocol does not support it.

Thinking of returning the Orion CCD for one that does not have ST-4. Would that be the correct thing to do?

Thanks, Lloyd

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pitiss
      I have recently bought a Orion Starshoot Autoguider. I downloaded phd 2, eqmod and ascom stuff. After a small research I found out my mount (exos 2 gt) doesn't support computer acces without firmware upgrade and fancy cables but I have the st4 port so it shouldn't be a problem. In phd I choose camera as Starshoot Autoguider and mount On-Camera. Aux mount and AO are both none. My wiring is one cable to pc from camera and another to st4 port from camera. When I started looping I selected the star with no problem. I choosed the one star alignment option from my hand controller and after centering the Archturus in the middle of view I pressed ok and it was successfull. I started guiding and after a while I get the error: RA calibration failed star didn't move enough.
    • By stardude07
      Hello,
      I have a question about filterwheels; SBIG filter wheels specifically. As far as I know they are the only ones that really use the 8 position filter wheels. So I have it loaded with L, R, G, B, Ha, OIII, and SII. So that is seven filters, what goes in the 8th slot???
      Thank you for your insight,
      Christopher
    • By astrosathya
      Hi Everyone,
      I have been trying to connect my QHY FW2 to APT and even though it establishes connection, I am unable to rotate the wheel with the software. No clue whats happening.  The wheel is powered, connected to CCD and APT. But nothing after that. Someone please help
    • By Sunshine
      I have no idea how this stacks up to other cameras, but I figured I’d post this new camera from Meade for those imagers out there.
      https://www.meade.com/accessories/cameras/deep-sky-imager-dsi-iv/deep-sky-imager-iv-dsi-iv-color.html
    • By astronomer2002
      I have an old StarlightXpress Frame store that hasn't been used for years.
      After the order from "on-high" to de-clutter I was going to take it to the skip along with other old astro stuff, but thought I'd just check to see if it was working.
      It appears to work fine so if any use can be found for it I would rather donate it to someone than take it to the skip.
      For those not familiar with the SX original Framestore it is self contained and only needed a PC to save images. To do that there was rudimentary software and a card to insert into the PC.  Of course, being the late 1990's it was designed for use with Windows 98. To save images would require an old desktop with Windowa 98 or maybe Windows 2000 on it.
      However, for taking short or long exposure images and displaying them on a screen no PC is needed.  I did use it at a star party to do just that. Showing a group of people objects they couldn't see well, if at all, through the scope directly collected quite a crowd.
      In the spirit of reducing landfill, if it can be of any use to anyone who is prepared to collect it from Maidenhead I will happily give it away.
      I attach images of the setup taken last week.
      Ian B

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.