SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Recommended binoculars

Afternoon all.

Just wondered what the advice would be for someone getting started in astronomy as regards the 'best' binoculars would be? In particular brand, magnification, etc etc...

I realise that this is a vast topic, with each brand having its own dedicated following, however some help must be better than just getting a pair from an advert!  Also I knpow that it depends what they will be used for.  As I said they are really for general purpose use, and to check if the interest is sufficient to later look at spending more on a telescope.

Budget is around £100.

Thanks all!

Welcome

For reviews and stuff binocularsky is a great helpful website. I like my 8*42 enough aperture to see stuff but not too much or two much magnification so they are great for daytime bird spotting and night use but are not heavy so easy hand holding and always useful size even if you get a telescope later.

I personally prefer 10x50 sized binoculars (or even a bit smaller) over their larger brethren (such as 15x70) as for me the great utility of binoculars is true grab and go nature and at that kind of magnification I find I am unable to hold them still enough to reveal all the detail they could show.  Shaking hides detail.  The addition of a monopod or tripod etc reduces that utility I mentioned.  However I did review a good pair of entry level 15x70 bins that I won in an astronomy themed pub quiz, the Opticron Oregon 15x70 if you are more attracted to slightly larger bins.  My review is on the link http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2015/07/04/opticron-oregon-15x70-binoculars-review/

I have heard good things about the Pentax SP 10x50 which are a bit above budget at around £150 but I have not used a pair myself to make personal comments.

I imagine @BinocularSkywill be along soon and can offer some excellent advice on models that fit your budget.

For general purpose I'd be tempted to go for something like a 8x42 bino. I have 10x50 but being honest I even struggle to keep these still un mounted...mag amplifies shake quite noticeably! 

I prefer my discontinued Meade 8x42 binoculars for general scanning of the skies.  They are the same as the Orion UltraView 8x42 Wide-Angle Binoculars.  I've tried 10x50s, but they just don't provide enough extra "oomph" to justify the added size, weight, and additional jitteriness of the view.  The exit pupil is basically the same for both.  I like the 66 degree AFOV and long eye relief of them as well.

I also have Galileo 15x70 mm Astro Binoculars that I picked up for $70 years ago.  They are surprising good for the price, considering 10x50 finderscopes cost this much or more.  However, you have to be sitting in a reclined position with your elbows braced on arm rests and holding the objective end with both hands while jamming the eyepieces into your eye sockets to brace them as firmly as possible to get a stable view.  They do go much deeper than the 8x42s on objects such as Collinder 70 around the belt of Orion.  I have tried tripod mounting them, but without a parallelogram mount, I just can't get my eyes into a comfortable position to view through them.

54 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

I imagine @BinocularSkywill be along soon and can offer some excellent advice on models that fit your budget.

My musings on the subject are here: http://binocularsky.com/binoc_choosing.php

In addition to what @DirkSteelewrote,a lot depends on if they are to be your main instrument. If they are just occasional use next to a larger scope, then 8x42 or 'proper' 10x50s are probably your best bet (I prefer 10x50 over 8x42, because I see more with them), but if you intend to observe primarily with binocs then you probably want to go bigger, unless @DirkSteele's "reduced utility" will be an issue. A 15x70 on a bodged mount (e.g. bunjied to along-handled window-cleaner) will show you more than a 10x50 (note how cranked top provides clearance for astronomer's beergut!):

4-Windowcleaner.thumb.jpg.8c37373b5764839b81cf0868983e1885.jpg

My personal view if these are for astronomically use mainly is get a pair either 7x50, or my favourite size which I use is 12x50. These are still small enough that you can use them for daytime use or birding,  but with enough lightgrasping power so you can see some fainter objects in the sky too. If possible though get down to a shop that sells binoculars so you can get a grasp of how heavy they weight and try some of the views out through them also. Sadly you won't be able to test them out at night, but you should get an idea none the less to make a better informed choice.

I use the Nikon Action 12x50's and find them really good with a large bright image . They are a bit over budget at £144 from Amazon but the Nikon Aculons  are a bit cheaper  and i believe they use same or similar optics

HTH

I bring out my Russian 12x40 binoculars when I'm not using my scope, having picked them up for just under £10 six years ago. I love these for the wide views and the pin sharp stars at the centre of the field. They'll show you the crators on the Moon, Jupiter's four satellites, close double stars (I once split 61 Cygni with these into two orange points) clusters, most of the Messier objects and Milky Way starfields. I have so much fun using these binoculars that I just can't think of using anything else. I'd recommend any Russian binoculars, especially these.

Another vote for 8x42 which I've found to be the smalest usable size. For something a bit bigger a pair of 8x56 are worth considering. I had a pair of Pentax 20x60 which gave amazing views but found the lack of soft rubber eyecups made them very uncomfortable to use. 

John

Another vote for 8x42.

I like a rich field of view full of stars. very light to carry around. 10x50 may be preferable if you live in area with light pollution. The magnification cuts through the light pollution.

If I want t see more details I would get my telescope.

regards

On 12/03/2017 at 08:17, ronin said:

Another here that uses 8x42's, have others but they do the best all round job.

Will ask what is it that you want, or expect, the binoculars to to do.

Hi.

I have a skywatcher 200p dob, but it can be a bit cumbersome to get out and use.  The binoculars will primarily be used to learn my way around the night sky, and also looking at moon/planets on occasion.  I was erring toward the 8x42, but we do get a bit of light polution where I live, so maybe the 10x50 will be a better option.  I do have an old pair of 10x50 but they really aren't great (or even good!) to use, and I don't want to put myself off of a pair of 10x50's, just because of the performance (or lack of) of my existing bins.

Archived