SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

solar fiters

Hi all just looking a bit of advice.......was gona buy a badder solar filter for my reflector and was wondering is it worthwhile getn a continuum filter aswel does it make for better seeing of some sort and if so wat would it be...thnks 

The continuum filter makes a improvement in contrast and does help with showing more detail but the improvement is quite small. I mean you'll notice it but it's a very subtle improvement. Some just use a green filter and claim it's as good but I found the continuum filter was slightly better.

John

I use a Baader solar continuum filter with a Lunt solar wedge. It helps to darken the image and gives much better contrast allowing more detail to be seen. The image you get of the disk is a green colour but you soon get used to this.

1 hour ago, REG78 said:

Cheers thnks for ur replies so if I just use th solar filter on its own does this just make th sun tht white colour 

The Baader solar film, with no other filtering, does produce a white solar disk.

There is the Seymour solar film that gives a yellowish image but I've tried it and it was no where near as good as the Baader. In a head to head comparison it came a distant second. :sad2: You'll come across it often on eBay.

John

The sun is actually white but the earth's thick atmosphere filters out a lot of the short wavelength colours leaving the reds, yellows and oranges predominent so to the naked eye it does look yellowish particularly when the sun is low down in the sky. Through a telescope however it does look white if no coloured filter is used.

John

4 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The sun is actually white but the earth's thick atmosphere filters out a lot of the short wavelength colours leaving the reds, yellows and oranges predominent so to the naked eye it does look yellowish. Through a telescope however it does look white if no coloured filter is used.

John

Its "informally" referred to as a yellow Dwarf, but you are right about the Earth's atmosphere filtering out a lot of the light wavelengths.

19 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The sun is actually white but the earth's thick atmosphere filters out a lot of the short wavelength colours leaving the reds, yellows and oranges predominent so to the naked eye it does look yellowish particularly when the sun is low down in the sky. Through a telescope however it does look white if no coloured filter is used.

John

12 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Its "informally" referred to as a yellow Dwarf, but you are right about the Earth's atmosphere filtering out a lot of the light wavelengths.

the day is not wasted.

Learn something each one and you are improving.

Or something.

I've never actually looked it up, just remember always seeing the Sol was a 'yellow' 'dwarf' G3 type.

Check data before opening mouth/keyboard

Have I time to research such things further? ....

The term "yellow dwarf" is actually very outdated. The sun was classified as yellow back in the days when all they had was the naked eye and the dwarf bit is also a bit meaningless as it refers to a star ranging from 0.08 solar mass up to an undefined size which could be 50 or 60 or more solar masses..........maybe. :huh2:

John

5 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The term "yellow dwarf" is actually very outdated. The sun was classified as yellow back in the days when all they had was the naked eye and the dwarf bit is also a bit meaningless as it refers to a star ranging from 0.08 solar mass up to an undefined size which could be 50 or 60 or more solar masses..........maybe. :huh2:

John

I was wondering why it is referred to as "informally".

Kind of gave me the impression that the term is indeed outdated.

next time It's a bit cloudy (won't be long) but not too cloudy and the sun pokes though but doesn't blind, have a look (naked eye of course) you can clearly see it is White :) as said, when low down the light gets scattered so looks yellow/orange

Archived