Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece cleaning

My method is as follows: 

1. Use a bulb blower to blow away any loose dust particles 
  2. Use a soft retractable brush to loosen any particles not removed in step 1
  3. Use the bulb blower again to blow away the loosened particles 
  4. Once all dirt particles are removed and only if needed to remove oil residues spray a small amount of lens cleaner onto a lens cleaning cloth. Gently wipe the cloth over the lens from one side to the other, don't rub in circles. Wipe again with a dry part of the cloth or a second cloth. 

Step 4 shouldn't be needed very often. 

14 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

My method is as follows: 

4. Once all dirt particles are removed and only if needed to remove oil residues spray a small amount of lens cleaner onto a lens cleaning cloth. Gently wipe the cloth over the lens from one side to the other, don't rub in circles. Wipe again with a dry part of the cloth or a second cloth. 

Thanks Ricohet for the steps above

I used to use IPA and about 4 double ended cotten wool buds. Problem with eyepieces is they get assorted crud on them from the observers face, eye lashes and eye brows and even  fingers.

If it's just oily residue and I'm at the telescope, I pull out a microfiber cloth I keep with my astro kit and gently huff upward onto the eye lens to get a bit of moisture on it to avoid spitting on it.  I then gently wipe from the center outward after check for debris on the surface.  I use the same procedure on camera lenses and video screens that get smudges on them.  This only works for very light messes, like accidentally touching your fingertip to the lens.  If you've got tree sap or some other goo on there, follow the more elaborate procedures outlined above.

6 hours ago, Louis D said:

If it's just oily residue and I'm at the telescope, I pull out a microfiber cloth I keep with my astro kit and gently huff upward onto the eye lens to get a bit of moisture on it to avoid spitting on it.  I then gently wipe from the center outward after check for debris on the surface.  I use the same procedure on camera lenses and video screens that get smudges on them.  This only works for very light messes, like accidentally touching your fingertip to the lens.  If you've got tree sap or some other goo on there, follow the more elaborate procedures outlined above.

Thanks Louis 

6 hours ago, ronin said:

I used to use IPA and about 4 double ended cotten wool buds. Problem with eyepieces is they get assorted crud on them from the observers face, eye lashes and eye brows and even  fingers.

Thanks ronin

16 hours ago, Ricochet said:

My method is as follows: 

What not in circles? What effect does this have?

18 minutes ago, rockystar said:

I've read multiple sources saying concentric circles starting in the center.  Others say linearly.  I think the risk with eyepieces is creating swirl patterns on the eye lens if you leave any residue behind.  With linear swipes, you'll see something resembling diffraction spikes.  With swirls, you'll see contrast killing mush.  If you get all the crud and residue, it probably doesn't matter as long as you don't grind grit into the surface.

I found the name of my favorite microfiber cloths.  They are named Photo Clear.  I like the little pouch they come in to keep them lint and gunk free in storage.  The edges are serged to prevent unraveling, and they have just the right heft to them.  They are often labeled with the retailer's name.  They're also the perfect size to keep in a camera bag or astro kit.  Here's a UK source.

3 hours ago, rockystar said:

I actually don't know, it's just the instructions that I have seen for cleaning a lens. What I actually should have said is centre to edge, although on a small eyepiece lens that might be difficult. I would guess that the reason for wiping straight from centre to edge would be to reduce the damage caused if you were to wipe a piece of dirt across the lens and scratch it. The strokes would be shorter and hopefully at the end of the stroke the dirt would be released instead of being swirled around the entire lens first. 

Archived