Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hailing from Uruguay

ingrast

After some search for a good astronomy forum, I choose to join stargazers' lounge on the general quality and quantity of topics and member activity.

A brief introduction. I am an Electrical Engineer, 57, with interests in music, aviation and lately astronomy. A long time subsriber of Scientific American (until it regretably fell way down in quality), I was at times also subsribed to Astronomy magazine and Sky & Telescope.

I have had up to now no contact with hands on observation, but my son came some weeks ago with an unexpected present, a Celestron PowerSeeker 127 newtonian.

So here I am under southern skies finding my way (after some pretty obvious hacks I had to implement to make the scope usable, I will start a thread exchanging information as well as requesting expert opinion about future modifications I have in mind).

That is it, hope to enjoy your company as much as I will try to add contributions within my scope of possibilities.

Rodolfo

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks all for the nice wellcome, this adds content to the proverbial british good manners!!

Yes, southern skys have some unfair advantages like the nearest galaxies (Megellanic clouds), bigest star and emission nebula (Eta Carinae), great globular clusters (Omega Centauri, 47 Tucana) and scores more. On the other hand you have some treats like the largest naked eye *real* galaxy (M31) and scores of other goodies.

The intermediate latitude (34 S) allows for good positioning of solar system objects, right now Jupiter is a blazing beacon tucked in Sagitarius, and have generally good access to most interesting targets depending on season.

I am located in suburb Montevideo, the orange tiled roof at 34o 48' 14" S, 56o 14' 05" W in GooglEarth or maps.google.com. I have rather severe light pollution (who doesn't!!) and a somewhat tree obstructed sky, but at minutes drive of better observing places when time allows.

Hope to share images as soon as I can make some decent shots.

By the way, I am impressed with the heavy iron owned by several members !!, I spotted in a quick scann LX200, Radian eyepieces, Equinox mounts etc.

Rodolfo

Well, right now it is winter here, and the wheather is soggy, drizzling. But on average yes, we have clear skies, only light pollution is a major hindrance to homebound observing.

Rodolfo

Archived