Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Troubles getting H-alpha Solar observation programme working

Hello!

Greetings fRom Mumbai!

So it looks like I can't get my solar observation programme working properly. As a freelance astronomy educator, I added solar programme in my activities from November 2016 with a Lunt50mm H-alpha scope. Although night sky observations are on a run since November,  having 10-12 sessions per month for private,corporate, trekking/camping or simple plain overnight events, Solar sessions are next to minimum. Facing many problems like people having literally no clue about H-alpha scope, troubles with understanding safety measures and sometimes getting straight rude comments like "it's a con. "(Even got these from some professionals as well). Doesn't look like I will have some positive result in this season as I have last 2 months before rainy season begins. If anyone else have faced or facing similar issues, please give some inputs!

Looks like double stacking my 50mm and having a short tube 120mm refractor + QUARK have to wait for another year! *disappointed*

Rhushikesh,

I think your work is admirable!

Unfortunately as you're finding solar observing brings with it it's own set of issues!!!

Could I suggest joining the world's largest solar forum - SolarChat

https://solarchatforum.com/

Many of the members have outreach experience through the Charlie Bates Project - they may be able to give you support and guidance....

Don't give up!!!

Good advice from Merlin66 above, lots of folk on solarchat who are active in outreach and may have some advice for you. I guess the Sun being so quiet at the moment is not helping your cause. Good luck with your programme, outreach is not something I will ever be comfortable doing so I have a lot of respect for those who do.

11 hours ago, David Smith said:

I guess the Sun being so quiet at the moment is not helping your cause.

You are right. Luckily, I had pretty okay sun while I gave few demos around in november/december. People who have seen through H-alpha scope, know that it just changes the whole perspective. Others have practically 0 idea about it!

12 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

Many of the members have outreach experience through the Charlie Bates Project 

I did try to contact CBSAP officials. I either got no reply, or a completely negative reply, which was kind of more disturbing than disheartening. Has got me pretty suspicious about dealing with them.

I will surely be registering at Solarchat though. Just don't know whether it will be helpful.

Archived