LBN 777 - 'The Baby Eagle' from DSW

gnomus

This is more data from DSW.  I could stretch this further, but I went back and forth quite a bit on how far I should take it.  In fact, the version I probably liked best was one where the Eagle (or Vulture) head was even fainter than this, but @MrsGnomus persuaded me to be a bit more aggressive (don't tell her I said so though).

Takahashi FSQ 106; Paramount MyT; QSI 683; Astrodon LRGB FIlters

• Lum: 29 x 900s
  • Red: 14 x 900s
  • Green: 13 x 900s
  • Blue: 14 x 900s

LBN777_1920.thumb.jpg.384ce3fbdb40476d95dfd49f150da00c.jpg

Wow ,first time I have seen this nebula, I like

Your style of processing on these type of targets

Some very healthy exposure times has given you 

Incredible depth and quality....

Well done

Paul

Really nice dust you collected. It has the trademark gnomus star control. Beautiful.

Looking at the full size image now. There is an interesting diffraction-spike-looking artefact in the upper right quadrant (the red star). Is this due to some optical effect or because the star is behind the dust? No other stars seem to have this effect.

Thanks guys.  For those who don't know this object, it is in the Taurus Molecular Cloud (whatever that is) and, according the the Interweb, is approximately 400 light years away.   It is in roughly the same region of the sky as M45.  (I was going to type that it was 'not a million miles away' from M45.  But ... of course ... it is!)

On 08/03/2017 at 17:05, wimvb said:

Looking at the full size image now. There is an interesting diffraction-spike-looking artefact in the upper right quadrant (the red star). Is this due to some optical effect or because the star is behind the dust? No other stars seem to have this effect.

Sorry for missing your question. I have noticed that a few Lum images from DSW come with spikes on the brighter stars. Usually I am able to eliminate these in processing. This one, however, proved a tricky blighter. It has been dialled back significantly but I decided to leave it as is. I concluded that the spike aided the composition of the image because it points directly at the eagles head. (And if you believe that guff you will believe anything.)?

2 hours ago, gnomus said:

(And if you believe that guff you will believe anything.)?

Good thing I don't, then. Otherwise I would. :wink:

Had you explained it as being a jet from a neutron star, I might have bought that. Maybe.

Cheers,

Archived