Narrowband

Rosette Nebula in HaSHO

Rodd

I have also heard it called microlensing.  I have seen it with other refractors.  I doubt you could 'fix' it without an awful lot of work.  Rather I would consider it a 'feature'.  :wink:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, gnomus said:

I have also heard it called microlensing.  I have seen it with other refractors.  I doubt you could 'fix' it without an awful lot of work.  Rather I would consider it a 'feature'.  :wink:

Its funny though, with the same camera I do not get these "feature's" with the C11Edge HD scope.  With the Edge scope the stars are perfectly round and there is no trace of spikes.  One would think that if they are produced by the camera, they would be there no matter what OTA was used.  

Just now, gnomus said:

I don't really understand it myself Rodd.  Might be something to do with imaging resolution?

I suppose as long as there is nothing "wrong" with the equipment, I don't much care.  The spikes are pretty small and only appear on brighter stars.  

Just now, tooth_dr said:

Another amateur here who is utterly impressed with this image. Thanks for sharing.  It is truly amazing what can be imaged. 

Much appreciated tooth_dr

That's a great image and I do mean great. In the full size I think you can see the NR and I'd have left a little more grain but no matter, it's a minor matter of taste. As I've said before, I really like the way your NB targets arise from a neutral sky colour, Rodd, a little dust reddened in this case (quite rightly.)

I get the microlensing (if that's what they are) 'light house beams' as well and I never give them a thought. They don't bug me in the least.

Olly

30 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

That's a great image and I do mean great. In the full size I think you can see the NR and I'd have left a little more grain but no matter, it's a minor matter of taste. As I've said before, I really like the way your NB targets arise from a neutral sky colour, Rodd, a little dust reddened in this case (quite rightly.)

I get the microlensing (if that's what they are) 'light house beams' as well and I never give them a thought. They don't bug me in the least.

Olly

Thanks Olly--You are right about the NR--I am trying to tone down my use of NR--trying different amounts and undoing until I get the absolute minimum needed to accomplish the goal--in this case I could have kept at it a little longer I think.  I am a bit hesitant to have re-go at this one with my new screen settings, but maybe that is what I should do.  The microlensing does not bother me at all either--though star reduction can yield odd shapes.  I really like the perfect circles I get with the Edge scope.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:10, ollypenrice said:

Olly

58ce9f2075eec_NP-1aandBlendND-3a-ds2andND1e-hist-down-2.thumb.jpg.a53347e790ae342d3ba90d9e8cad45a1.jpg

I don't know why my words did not get posted as well--I had said that I reprocessed with new screen settings and less noise reduction.  I probably could reduce the NR more--but I think this is a move in the right direction.  Bok globules are too dark however.  Can't have everything I guess.

Rodd

4 minutes ago, Filroden said:

Really? I love it.

Well--in places they are near black.  In other places they have good range though, so not too bad I guess.  All in all I am done tinkering.

Rodd

Archived