Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rosette Nebula in HaSHO

Rodd

Greetings all--I hope everyone has had better weather than me.  I had planned an HaSHO / HaRGB comparison of this target, but long stretches of cloudy skies prevented  me even starting the RGB image--now the trees will prevent it until next year.  That's too long to wait, so here is the HaSHO image. 

25 hours using 30 minute subs with Televue np101is at F4.3, SBIG STT-8300 with self guiding filter wheel and Astrodon 3nm filters.

58c001346a032_BlendND-3a-ds2andND-1e-hist-DOWN.thumb.jpg.3487edfb46d84652b62caa7958069901.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Excellent image Rodd, nicely processed, weather has been rubbish here for weeks, one low pressure system after another coming across the Atlantic.

Dave

Thanks Dave--Sorry to hear it.  Hopefully it will settle down.  

Excellent image Rodd, well done, very much enjoying the neutral dust and gas around the colourful nebula complex. The Bok Globs are nicely contrasted too against the blue gas. Well done.

Just now, gnomus said:

I'd say that was spot on Rodd.  

Thanks Gnomus

Just now, johnrt said:

Excellent image Rodd, well done, very much enjoying the neutral dust and gas around the colourful nebula complex. The Bok Globs are nicely contrasted too against the blue gas. Well done.

Thanks John

5 minutes ago, zicklurky said:

Really nice Rodd! My only niggle is the strange halos around the bright stars. And perhaps too much noise reduction, but that's personal taste.

Thanks zicklurky.  The halos are beyond my skill set--I think they are related to different FWHM values (hence star sizes) for the various filters.  My acquisition skills do not include autofocus. And I shoot when I probably shouldn't (during periods when seeing bloats stars).  I do not like the halo removal scripts as they tend to make the stars appear bigger.  I do the best I can.  As far as noise control--its pretty minimal in this image--just a touch really.  There was not allot of noise in the 7-9 hour stacks.  But I will revisit this and take a closer look......someday (sick of this image for a while!).

2 hours ago, Filroden said:

That's a lovely Rosette. I particularly like how you can trace structure throughout it. Very nicely colour blended. 

Thanks Ken.  I was surprised at the amount of structure as well. 

27 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

That's a gorgeous image Rodd, and such exquisite detail. It is interesting to see all the surrounding dust/gas as well.

Ian

Thanks Ian--there is an awful lot to see around the main attraction.  I wish my FOV was larger!  

Like that a lot. The dark filaments and Bok globules are more defined than I've seen from my own images.

As others have said, I can see some odd magenta haloing around the brighter stars, together with what look like diffraction spikes :icon_scratch:. Is there anything in the optical path that could be responsible?

As you already have 3nm HII, have you considered adding a [NII] filter to the wheel? The Rosette is quite rich in [NII] emission.

36 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Like that a lot. The dark filaments and Bok globules are more defined than I've seen from my own images.

As others have said, I can see some odd magenta haloing around the brighter stars, together with what look like diffraction spikes :icon_scratch:. Is there anything in the optical path that could be responsible?

As you already have 3nm HII, have you considered adding a [NII] filter to the wheel? The Rosette is quite rich in [NII] emission.

I have been told that the diffraction spikes are due to microlensing of my camera.  The TAK reftactors have specific features like this--so I am guessing most refractors have similar spikes.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Anyone?  I would add a filter but the bank won't allow it!

Archived