SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I have had enough

laudropb

Sitting here listening to the rain batter off the windows. I have had one decent session observing this year. I am going stir crazy, so I have booked a 6 night stay at Astrofarm in SW France. I just hope I do not jinx their usually dark skies.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great stuff, John.

We've had previous discussions about the conditions your area has suffered. And it hasn't changed much as far my occasional eye over recent weather reports can see.

Hope you have a great time. Keep us posted. ??

Ive found that when i go abroad, the damn clouds follow me.

Astronomy is not the be all and end all.........find something else to do on cloudy nights. Clear nights are the least thing i think of. If they happen..........great. If they dont, so be it.

Enjoy your holiday. i'M LONG OVERDUE ONE.......hopefully Sept, but i dont do astronomy on holiday..............i eat,drink,relax with family.

Astronomy is a "hobby" for most, a way of life for others (myself included). Either way,it should be a pleasure to partake in, not a commitment,task or chore.

We cant control the weather, so why even bother worrying about it or letting it frustrate the hell out of you?. The universe isnt going anywhere in a hurry.

Read a book,watch a movie, do a jigsaw.

Whatever.

I absolutely love fishing and cycling (not at the same time :D) but when I can't do either, I play the guitar or do some more on my next RC plane. Keeping and breeding budgies is a hobby AND a chore due to the regular cleaning, feeding and checking. Yes I know I've got too many hobbies but it keeps me from sitting on my 'aris. 

I have to say that i really love the sound of the wind and rain lashing/battering on my bedroom window while i am all tucked up in bed safe and warm.

Generally i just love adverse weather, be it 3 ft of snow in the winter or a heatwave in the summer and everything in between.

The stats are in your favour. I'm in SE France where we have the professional historical stats to go on from the Obs de Haute Provence. Dome opens 300 nights per year, stays open all night 250 nights per year.

But, as I always point out to folks enquiring, that does mean maybe 100 or so dodgy nights per year. In mainland europe you cannot have Atacama weather. You can find fresh water, though!!

Olly

1 hour ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I have to say that i really love the sound of the wind and rain lashing/battering on my bedroom window while i am all tucked up in bed safe and warm.

Generally i just love adverse weather, be it 3 ft of snow in the winter or a heatwave in the summer and everything in between.

I'm glad I'm not the only one :icon_biggrin: I enjoy horrendous weather almost as much as a crisp, calm clear night out. I don't know what it is but sitting toasty warm in front of the fire with a book at night with the wind howling around the rooftops and rain/hail rattling the windows is some how very comforting to me. The daft thing is it's even better when the power goes out and we're all sat with head torches on and candles dotted about in the top of wine bottles :drunken_smilie: , I suppose it's at least partly because the light box in the corner of the room ceases to function so we ALL have to engage a few brain cells and interact a little :hello2:

7 hours ago, laudropb said:

Sitting here listening to the rain batter off the windows. I have had one decent session observing this year. I am going stir crazy, so I have booked a 6 night stay at Astrofarm in SW France. I just hope I do not jinx their usually dark skies.

I feel your pain, had so few opportunities so far this year. Time is tight at the best of times, but we do seem to have been having a really bad run of cloudy nights in the UK! Enjoy the break and we look forward to hearing your reports! :-)

8 hours ago, Daz69 said:

I absolutely love fishing and cycling (not at the same time :D) but when I can't do either, I play the guitar or do some more on my next RC plane. Keeping and breeding budgies is a hobby AND a chore due to the regular cleaning, feeding and checking. Yes I know I've got too many hobbies but it keeps me from sitting on my 'aris. 

exactly what I do.
I started with guitar to keep myself occupied and away from brainwash-TV and to spend time some other, productive way. Then, as I got older and had some spare money, I bought a motorcycle, which is another great passion and something that I wanted as a child. Last year I realized I had nothing decent to do during winter, so I started with astronomy, again I was interested for a long time prior to buying my first scope, I only needed a slight shove in the right direction. Many hobbies, but hey, I am not frustrated by a few clouds and always have something to do.

Laudropb - I hope all goes well and clouds don't follow you to france! I had about 5-6sessions this year, while during november and december I was out every other night with a few amazing nights with great seeing, I miss that. This year is so far really not astronomy-friendly!

Thanks for all your good wishes folks. To be honest I usually have a week away in spring birdwatching in Mallorca, so this is just a replacement for that.

Of course I will hopefully report back on my observing sessions. I may even cross over to the dark side and post some images.

12 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Astronomy is a "hobby" for most, a way of life for others (myself included). Either way,it should be a pleasure to partake in, not a commitment,task or chore.

We cant control the weather, so why even bother worrying about it or letting it frustrate the hell out of you?. The universe isnt going anywhere in a hurry.

Read a book,watch a movie, do a jigsaw.

Whatever.

Astronomy is a way of life for me since for as long as I remember. If I can`t go outside then I mainly read astronomy books or scour the net for astronomy websites.

Don`t watch TV but I`m a big fan of Dr. Who, and I am always watching my DVD collection most days. Currently watching them in order and am in Patrick Troughton`s era having just finished watching episode 2 of  The Seeds of Death.

So if its not clear outside most of my life is filled with astronomy, I`m glad I got a understanding wife! :)

Just enjoy yourself, and  if the Skies are good, then that will be fantastic, If not, you can relax with some of the local  wines.   I'm sure you  will have a good break whatever happens, it's good to get away for the change alone

Archived