SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which Takahashi refractor?

That's a good point Craig. My eyes are not good although I've never directly compared them with anyone as far as astronomy is concerned. The good thing is that every time I have an eye test they never change very much. Something to keep in mind though.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Visibility of floaters at small exit pupils is another reason to stick with a larger aperture perhaps.

I guess I depends upon the position with the Vixen. If you look to sell it at some point, then a nice 130mm and a 100mm might end up getting used more?

3 hours ago, kerrylewis said:

That's a good point Craig. My eyes are not good although I've never directly compared them with anyone as far as astronomy is concerned. The good thing is that every time I have an eye test they never change very much. Something to keep in mind though.

I know that not everyone gets along with them, but I've found binocular viewers coupled with simple Orthoscopics greatly enhance the detail I see on the Moon and planets. I've yet to see a single high end eyepiece beat the ortho/binoviewer combination for sharpness of image. For rich field or deep sky I still use mono viewing, but the BV is just stunning for solar system viewing. It seems that the BV somehow reduces the visual effects of turbulence, and also floaters are less of a problem. 

Mike

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Visibility of floaters at small exit pupils is another reason to stick with a larger aperture perhaps.

I guess I depends upon the position with the Vixen. If you look to sell it at some point, then a nice 130mm and a 100mm might end up getting used more?

Hello Stu

i would only sell the Vixen If it ever got too much for me to handle, which I hope Is a way off yet. :happy11:

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

I know that not everyone gets along with them, but I've found binocular viewers coupled with simple Orthoscopics greatly enhance the detail I see on the Moon and planets. I've yet to see a single high end eyepiece beat the ortho/binoviewer combination for sharpness of image. For rich field or deep sky I still use mono viewing, but the BV is just stunning for solar system viewing. It seems that the BV somehow reduces the visual effects of turbulence, and also floaters are less of a problem. 

Mike

Mike- I've never tried binoviewers because I've always assumed that that would not suit me. The main problem with my eyes is that one is considerably better than the other. I always use my left eye for observing and, although I like binoculars, I am  always conscious of having a rather one-sided view favouring my left eye. However  I would like to try someone's set up at a star party and perhaps I might be surprised 

Kerry 

14 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Are you at psp kerry? You can try mine.  I agree 100% with Mike. Just waiting for my 12" to cool for high def lunar binoviewing  :happy11:

Yes I am Shane . Look forward to seeing you and the binoviewers 

Good luck with the lunar - no viewing possible here at the moment unfortunately

Kerry, if you are ever in a Norfolk and want to have a look through my 76DS, you'll be very welcome. Am usually at Seething on Friday evenings, not that there's been much of an opportunity to use it this year. Lightweight, portable but superb views to be had, especially with a Panoptic 24. 

Chris

1 hour ago, Cjg said:

Now you're teasing us John?, I'm wondering just how much of a difference there is between my 76 and the 100. 

I've had both. The 76 is lovely, but the 100 is definitely a significant level above.

1 hour ago, Cjg said:

Now you're teasing us John?, I'm wondering just how much of a difference there is between my 76 and the 100. 

24mm ? . And in percentage wise in a frac of those Size's, that's a lot more light gathering ability.  You will have to try your 76 against a 100 and see for yourself. But then I suspect you will want one☺, be prepared to dip into your pockets 

8 hours ago, Cjg said:

One of the best lunar & planetary observers I've ever met is a chap called Nigel Longshaw. A brilliant visual observer, who's lunar and planetary drawings are every bit as technically excellent as Harold Hills lunar and Richard Baums planetary. Nigel uses a Takahashi FS78 fluorite apochromat for many of his observations, so you're in good company with your FC76.

Mike

nlong002r.jpg

I always feel guilty for not trying harder when I see / read about such amazing observations carried out with small aperture scopes. It seems a bit "lazy" to have much larger apertures occasionally :undecided:

1 hour ago, Starlight 1 said:

I use my tak fsq106ed more on visual .So I like to know why you never see posts on this scope for visual .

I'd imagine most people who buy the FSQ do so primarily, if not only as an imaging instrument. You do have a valid point by bringing attention to the FSQ as a visual scope. Takahashi developed the extender Q image amplifier to boost the focal ratio of the FSQ and Sky 90, so they have real confidence in the FSQ's ability as a visual scope.

Mike

1 hour ago, Starlight 1 said:

Thanks Mike , I am on the look out for the 1.6 to made this a F8 .

They are quite expensive new! True technology sell them and you can download a price list, though you're better off talking to Nick at True Tec as prices fluctuate. Tak make different extender Qs for different scopes, so the Q for the fluorite refractors isn't the same as for the ED's. Of course they do occasionally appear second hand if you know which to look for.

Mike

7 hours ago, John said:

I always feel guilty for not trying harder when I see / read about such amazing observations carried out with small aperture scopes. It seems a bit "lazy" to have much larger apertures occasionally :undecided:

:help:

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 16:26, kerrylewis said:

Hello Stu

i would only sell the Vixen If it ever got too much for me to handle, which I hope Is a way off yet. :happy11:

Mike- I've never tried binoviewers because I've always assumed that that would not suit me. The main problem with my eyes is that one is considerably better than the other. I always use my left eye for observing and, although I like binoculars, I am  always conscious of having a rather one-sided view favouring my left eye. However  I would like to try someone's set up at a star party and perhaps I might be surprised 

Kerry 

Kerry, I wouldn't put having eyes of different capacities as being any detriment to being able to use a binoviewer to good effect.  After all, you are using both eyes to good effect every day as you go about your business - with binocular vision!  It is an excellent idea to try some out before you purchase  though, then you will know one way or another.

I agree with Mike's comments regarding the difference a binoviewer makes when observing the Moon and planets.  The improvement is significant for me, and I wouldn't observe these subjects without a binoviewer if I have one available.  In my view using a binoviewer is easily the best thing you can do to improve planetary views - and you can buy a binoviewer with a couple of orthos cheaper than many single eyepieces!

7 hours ago, paulastro said:

Kerry, I wouldn't put having eyes of different capacities as being any detriment to being able to use a binoviewer to good effect.  After all, you are using both eyes to good effect every day as you go about your business - with binocular vision!  It is an excellent idea to try some out before you purchase  though, then you will know one way or another.

I agree with Mike's comments regarding the difference a binoviewer makes when observing the Moon and planets.  The improvement is significant for me, and I wouldn't observe these subjects without a binoviewer if I have one available.  In my view using a binoviewer is easily the best thing you can do to improve planetary views - and you can buy a binoviewer with a couple of orthos cheaper than many single eyepieces!

But I do wear glasses to 'go about my business '!  :happy11: I find that I can't wear them for observing but I do also have contact lenses which I can use. I'm looking forward to trying Shane's binoviewers and perhaps I'll be persuaded. Certainly any advantage on planets would be attractive. 

Back to your aperture v portability dilemma, Kerry:

You are approaching 50 so hopefully have many years of observing ahead of you. Like all of us your ability to mount a large and heavy frac will diminish over time but I don't think you should limit what you do now in anticipation of that happening as it could be 5, 10 or 15 years before that is a serious consideration. If you buy a good example of a 120 or 130 Tak to treat yourself now it's a bit like putting money in the bank to buy a lighter and more manageable 100/102 at a later date when you decide it is time to give up weightlifting :wink:

As it happens, I have exactly the same lust for a Tak and the same dilemma as you - I just don't have the excuse to treat myself just yet :rolleyes2: (that milestone passed three years ago)

I am also torn betwixt two Kerry, the 120 & 100 and I am also leaning toward the 120.

Why ? the extra aperture for starters and I kind of like the idea of the extra weight at the front with the triplets, I believe this could help with balancing the weight between the front and rear when using 2" eyepieces & diagonals etc.... In addition when I had the Esprit the triplet lens arrangement removed all CA.

52 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

Approaching 50? I wish - three score and ten is.......Still a few years observing left though Derek :happy11:

Thanks for your input - I am leaning towards a 120 

Good Choice! :icon_biggrin:

So does TSA 120 triplet = retirement of the 150 Atlux, 100mm ED and 9.25 SCT, or 350mm flex tube? It would go quite a way to fund the Tak!

Mike 

Archived