SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I've been made to work for this! - Twilight Moon 6-3-17

Fozzie

And don't I know it..

Dashed home from work, if you can call 55mins to do 15miles a dash that is, to lovely twilight skies over town around 18:10.. According to the met Office I had one hour in which to set up, cool and shoot some frames.. According to life I had not a chance in a million as Emma was out, Little Oliver need bathing, feeding, changing, watering, books reading, a jolly good tickling and a bit of a general chase around the house whilst I pretended that my hands are "tickle spiders", oh and as well as tea that need prepping and cooking and a load of washing throwing in the machine!  First clear night in ages, and I've got that much to do that even Mary Poppins would be left crying into her spoons of sugar!! 

Remarkably though achieve I did, around 1000 singles before it got truly dark, thus i'm classifying this as a twilight moon, taken before 19:00 last night.  I did manage some closer up fro a three pane mosaic but not got round to those yet.

The easy bit over, in respects to data and general husbandry I instantly hit problems with processing.. PiPP wasn't playing ball, taking about 1.5hrs to crop and centre, Registax was not dealing with rotation and leaving me and the final stack all blurry..

So I started again, this time using AS2.. same result, so gleefully I gave up at 23:00 and went to bed, cursing the PC, the telescope, my undriven mount and camera..  Even my electric tooth brush ran out of power on me... Typical..

Anyway, I left the computer re running in AS2 over night, which is a big no no in the good lady's eyes, and got up to it around 5ish to see if any thing was salvageable..  It wasn't so I left for work, very dejected..

Anyway I've had a productive morning and the it turns out the old tower PC in the corner isn't too shabby, and a darn site better than the Junk at home..

Yet again, PiPP for the crops, Regi6 for the stacking, which produced rotation in the lower half, not the top half like before, just to keep things amusing I assume!.. Anyway, I threw wavelets at it, and then realigned the entire thing, and then re-waveleted it only to be left with a passable shot of 120 frames, from 952....

Any way.. thanks for reading.. here it is!

Ta

Fozzie

58be9775cc18a_000_IMG_0648_quality_100.thumb.png.6cd6fce49f508cf3d7c1cb8faf8ddd3c.png

Forgot to say, unguided, 102mm frac F11 with the canon 750d..

Great image Fozzie, worth the hard work, patience and the tickling. Yesterday evening was a bit of a gift. I managed to get out in the twilight for some luna observation, convinced that the clouds on the horizon would sweep in before I could know it.  As it turned out, it held off for much longer so not a bad session after all, and you've got the evidence to show, well done.

Phew, I'm quite tired out just reading, sounds like you need an Au Pair (or three !)

Excellent result, nice one.

I was out somewhat later, about 11pm and noted a bright tail to Eratosthenes making it look like a Q  in my orientation , see below, do you (anyone) have a name for the mountains marked red, non of my sources name them.

There was also a long arc of mountain tops to my right of the crater deep in the terminator (at that later time so not on your image) which I think I have identified as Montes Carpatus  all quite prominent even swmbo remarked !

Clip from your image horizontal flip to show my Q  :)

fozz1.jpg.82e7570ab8493ae24600f1457cdf22ea.jpg

4 hours ago, SilverAstro said:

and noted a bright tail to Eratosthenes making it look like a Q  in my orientation , see below, do you (anyone) have a name for the mountains marked red, non of my sources name them.

Thats an interesting one. In the Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas there are several good photos of Eratosthenes with the tail of the Q linking it to Stadius ("a striking example of a submerged crater") but no name to the mountains that form that little tail. in Rukl's guide to the moon it just refers to to Stadius'  north east wall, which looks to form the bottom of that chain, as being 650m high.

2 hours ago, Alfian said:

Thats an interesting one. In the Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas there are several good photos of Eratosthenes with the tail of the Q linking it to Stadius ("a striking example of a submerged crater") but no name to the mountains that form that little tail. in Rukl's guide to the moon it just refers to to Stadius'  north east wall, which looks to form the bottom of that chain, as being 650m high.

6 hours ago, SilverAstro said:

Phew, I'm quite tired out just reading, sounds like you need an Au Pair (or three !)

Excellent result, nice one.

I was out somewhat later, about 11pm and noted a bright tail to Eratosthenes making it look like a Q  in my orientation , see below, do you (anyone) have a name for the mountains marked red, non of my sources name them.

There was also a long arc of mountain tops to my right of the crater deep in the terminator (at that later time so not on your image) which I think I have identified as Montes Carpatus  all quite prominent even swmbo remarked !

Clip from your image horizontal flip to show my Q  :)

fozz1.jpg.82e7570ab8493ae24600f1457cdf22ea.jpg

As far as I can tell from my atlas, the range is actually unnamed currently..

20170307_213105.thumb.jpg.9216656e28bea615ca97832a03329064.jpg

Unusual, I'd have thought someone would have planted a flag by now..

2 hours ago, Alfian said:

the tail of the Q linking it to Stadius ("a striking example of a submerged crater") but no name to the mountains that form that little tail.

2 hours ago, Fozzie said:

potentially mount Wolf but another resource had mount Wolf a bit further round

Thanks for looking Alfian and Fozzie, it is turning into a bit of a mystery ! I have been digging on line and found my way to the Gazetteer of Planetary Nomenclature, International Astronomical Union (IAU) Working Group for Planetary System Nomenclature (WGPSN) and it does seem that there is no flag !! (yet!) EDIT -I forgot the link : https://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/

Lots of little Stadiuses to one side of Eratosthenes and a Mons Wolff with Wolff A & B on the other as part of the Montes Apenninus.

Looks like we may have discovered Mons SGL :D Wonder how we go about planting a flag with them ? !

Fozz2.jpg.f837f8523c818ece4a8b9d13f58ecd5e.jpg

fozz.thumb.jpg.e78a95d7b9d2892ce8fc533330f681e7.jpg

Archived