Narrowband

Reworked Bubble

robindurant

It was Steppenwolf that told me that he sometimes took many hours processing a single image, so I tried harder on one I took last week but did not post as it was notsogood and it is now improved. I realise now there is no easy way to good imaging. As my old school report once said "could try harder" I must.

20 x 2 mins. Atik 16IC ED80 Pro1 0.5 FR poor seeing

Robin

7841_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Hi Robin, its coming along fine , the Bubble is nice and some nebulosity surrounding it , the stars need some work , but its a hard learning curve with the colour , as you say have to keep progressing Robin ,thats what its all about, but you are doing just great , a huge improvement from when u started .

Rog

Thanks Rog. I don't know what to do with the stars, they don't seem to have any form. I have reduced the size but that did not do much. It seems that I get these carp stars when I use long subs, ( 2 mins) they seem bloated but any reduction in the sub time will not give me results with the object. Its all confusing.

Robin

Robin, the second image has much better shaped stars whilst maintaining good nebulosity in the Bubble. Something that I have noticed about your consistently improving images is that they have a very smooth finish - almost too smooth and I wonder if there is something that you are routinely doing in your post processing to get this smoothness that is having an adverse effect on the stars themselves? For example, DSO images smoothed using 'Neat Image' often show stars as 'strings' rather than individual objects in their own right. it would be interesting to know your 'standard work-flow' in case there is something that is upsetting the appearance of your stars.

Yes I did use neat image but just a touch,

As you must have gathered from my post I suspected that this was the case. The star destruction from Neat image can be quite extensive, especially if the original stars are not that good to start with.

Perhaps the following little tip may help. Once you have used Neat Image, save the file, load it into your photo manipulation software, select it, copy it and then paste it on top of the original image. Now, reduce the opacity of the top layer (the Neat image one) until the 'roughness' of the original just starts to appear. This cunning plan will smooth the background (and the nebulosity for that matter) but depending on the opacity level used, you will have complete control over the level of smoothing imparted to the image!

Archived