Narrowband

Messier 63

Petergoodhew

Yes it's galaxy season!  Messier 63 aka the Sunflower Galaxy. The core is a bit blown out, and I hope to add some Ha later when  I can capture some.

30x300s L, 20x300s B, 12x300s G, 10x3002 R

Imaged at Alcalalí, Spain 2/2-3/3/2017

Comments/suggestions welcome.

M63.jpg

Fabulous detail Peter, that big scope and small-pixel ccd are really paying dividends in your image scale.  Is this much of a cropped image?

Once again, I'm not convinced your colour is quite calibrated and balanced - web images do show a reddish-blue hue but also some yellows, rather than wholely pale blue.  I know this link is to a 'master' but may help you if you haven't seen it already, APOD.

You are really starting to get your rig hoovering on these targets and I look forward to seeing more.

Thanks Barry.  Yes it's cropped by about 50% as the camera orientation meant that the galaxy was end-on and just didn't look right. 

I do need to work on my colour balance and star processing.  Just not getting them right.  I will have a go at reprocessing this one as I need to get this right.

Bill Snyder is indeed a master - his website is amazing.  However from a question of personal taste I find his award-winning APOD (and those of other world experts like Ken Crawfod) look too "confected".  I feel that if I were to actually travel to M63 it would look more natural, so that's what I am aiming to achieve one day.

There is so much to enjoy here. The resolution of the galaxy is a delight.

Like Barry, though, I wonder about the CB and the red ringed stars.

Olly

Edit. Have a good look on the full res at the ringed areas. It's hard to see on the screen grab and I'm not dead sure it's even significant at all, but in the left ring theres a hint of a dark shape and in the right ring a bright one, like a pair of brackets. This could be a sign of internal reflection or perhaps incorrect flats. There are other slight signs that the flats might not be working perfectly, too.

Sunflower.thumb.JPG.9bb898777d18fb43784c8e60e2400f3d.JPG

Second image is very good Peter; i haven't processed this data as yet so will see how the flats work for me. Was this data taken prior (or over the same period) as when new flats were taken?? 

On 07/03/2017 at 09:01, Petergoodhew said:

I feel that if I were to actually travel to M63 it would look more natural, so that's what I am aiming to achieve one day.

...now that IS ambitious!

4 hours ago, ampleamp said:

Second image is very good Peter; i haven't processed this data as yet so will see how the flats work for me. Was this data taken prior (or over the same period) as when new flats were taken?? 

Some subs were before the new flats and some after Alistair- hence my problem. The red channel was calibrated with the new flats and came out fine.

Archived