Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dance Of The Moons, and A "T" Pattern

Saw some stars in the gaps in the clouds so set up, brimming with optimism.  Still hoping to bag more galaxies around Virgo - hopeless really under these conditions.  However, Jupiter was in Virgo, so took a peek, and what a surprise!  

At about 1.35, Callisto, Europa, and Io were in a line with Jupiter, and Ganymede was "under" Europa and a little further from the planet.  About 30 minutes later, G had moved so the moons formed an almost perfect "T".  After another 30 minutes, G had moved closer to Jupiter.  

So I saw a pattern I had not observed before, got the timing spot on, and was more than usually aware of how rapidly those moons change position!  Great little session!

Doug.

It's been quite nice tonight viewing Jupiter :smiley:

I managed to catch around 75% of the GRS transit and, as you say, the 4 Gallilean moons were nicely positioned. Not the best of seeing but not bad at 180x with the Tak 100.

4 hours ago, John said:

It's been quite nice tonight viewing Jupiter :smiley:

I managed to catch around 75% of the GRS transit and, as you say, the 4 Gallilean moons were nicely positioned. Not the best of seeing but not bad at 180x with the Tak 100.

In the 8SE things were getting fuzzy at x185!

Doug.

Archived