Narrowband

Blast From The Past.

This was my telescope I started out with. I used it from 1972 until 1974 after which I acquired a 60mm altaz refractor common to the era. This is not the actual scope,the original was dumped many a year ago,and in recent years I regretted it. However I recently managed to acquire one for old time sake for £20 on ebay.Its a Tasco 4VTE 40mm refractor with a next to useless table tripod. Believe it or not I managed to actually make observations with this piece of nonsense! I remember as if were yesterday that I first saw Saturn's rings with it.

It has a tiny variable eyepiece with a click stop draw tube giving powers between 25-50X in 6 steps. For a laugh I recently tried it out on the night sky and it was even worse than I remember.The tiny objective is just to small to provide enough light even at the lowest power,in fact its not much use even for looking out ships out in the Forth.

But I dont regret buying it though, it makes a nice ornament and reminds me of fond memories and early observations.

Les.

Tasco1.JPG

Tasco2.JPG

Tasco3.JPG

My friend Peter had one back in 1974.I saw Saturn's rings and phases of Venus.Afew years ago I picked one up for ten pounds. I was so excited that we could see this detail.

Martin

My brother has something very similar to this, which I think he bought in the late 70s or early 80s. It's been a few years since I've seen it, but I think his is yellow. He still uses it sometimes too

2 hours ago, Merlin said:

Galileo would have given his right arm for it... .

Always my first thought on these topics. The pancratic zoom eyepiece on these early Tascos didn't do them any favours.  :icon_biggrin:

Archived