SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Moon 05-03-17

johnfosteruk

Wasn't expecting an opportunity this evening, before I went to the gym it was windy as a windy thing, lots of cloud and the app said 100% cloud for later.

When I got home it was clear, lovely. Lots of high haze though, quite happy with this though.

50% of 200 frames at 1/400s ISO 100 with the 102 cropped and aligned in Pipp, stacked in AS!2, wavelets in Registax and finished in PS.

I'm also processing a mosaic from the 130 newt and 2.5x Revelation barlow, I think that'll take a while though.

58bdd34b80309_Moon05-03monosmall.thumb.png.78913f7af4f1b922c40b01f3662ed413.png

Nice image John, excellent contrast which is something I need to work on. 

I like the way you present your images with the subject, date (surely 17 :happy11:) but where do you get your information on how old the moon is and the percentage illumination?

1 minute ago, Sierra Golf Mike said:

Nice image John, excellent contrast which is something I need to work on. 

I like the way you present your images with the subject, date (surely 17 :happy11:) but where do you get your information on how old the moon is and the percentage illumination?

Doh!!  Well spotted sir. I'll amend later. 

I would like to say I just know or have calculated it but I use sky safari as I'm idle at times. 

5 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

Doh!!  Well spotted sir. I'll amend later. 

I would like to say I just know or have calculated it but I use sky safari as I'm idle at times. 

Thanks John, What version of Sky Safari are you using, is it the all singing, all dancing one?

2 hours ago, Sierra Golf Mike said:

Thanks John, What version of Sky Safari are you using, is it the all singing, all dancing one?

I use the pro version, got it when it was on sale, but I think the ephemeris is shown in all versions unless someone else knows different.

2 hours ago, Sierra Golf Mike said:

Did you capture that contrast or process it?

Processed it, I'm lucky with the D3200 as it's got a very dynamic range in RAW. In daytime terms it captures about 3 stops either side of your exposure settings so I under expose for the Maria knowing I'll have plenty of room on the right of the histogram to stretch it.

Archived