Any time of the year, but be warned that during different seasons different astronomical targets will be visible. For example during the winter the famous constellation of Orion is visible, but during the summer Scorpious and Sagittarius. I recommend getting the free software stellarium to see what is visible above your head right now. 

Cold clear nights provide the best seeing and transparency through the atmosphere. Warmer weather heats the Earth and when it cools at night time all the heat is released into the air causing atmospheric disturbance. So whilst you can use your scope any time of the year, winter provides the best conditions for it. :)

(I speak from Canada)

Last year I liked the month of April because it's getting hotter and I had temperatures a little bit above 0 at night. This range of temperature is easy to manage with appropriate clothings, there are no insects and no excess humidity from the hot days of summer, no pollen.  Could be a good midpoint, I sure like it. 

Usually best idea is before the clocks jump forward which is the end of March so not long. Simply it dark earlier according to how we keep time.

One place around here does possible public nights between the clock moving back in Oct up until they move forward in March again for the reason it is darker earlier. Still doesn't seem to stop the clouds.

Following the idea of another club again observing on a Friday or Saturday is good - reason for this is that there is usually no work or school the following day, so the possibility of staying outside longer into the night.

So Oct to March gives more time but I will say that a pleasant warmish night is really nice.

Considering weather conditions, full moon periods, months in early summer , when it does not get really dark, observing time will be limited anyway. Add professional and familiar responsibilities, and you will find, that you can make use of about 50 to 70 decent nights in a year for observing.

So take every chance to get out, when it is somewhat clear(ish), observe moon and planets, when the sky is too bright for Deep Sky objects; you can do also some solar observing (white light, with precautions).

Get a small grab-and-go set (binoculars, small frac) to make use of 10-30 minutes observing occasions.

My favourite observing times are spring (March/April) - galaxy time; and August - October for Milky Way objects.

Stephan

Archived