Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet 41P/Tuttle-Giacobini-Kresak brightening

It's so diffuse and large - full moon scale, binoculars could well provide the best views especially as it's brightening. I could not see it in binoculars this evening, but could see it in the telescope before M97 and M108 appeared in view.

andrew

andrew

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Managed to capture comet 41p last night with friends m108 surfboard and m97 owl nebula.

Very noisy image and my processing has left a few black rings on some stars. DSS is playing odd ball and was not showing the individual frames light enough for me to mark the comet to be able to do a proper comet stack, argh...

Virtuoso mount with Canon 1100d vintage 135mm f3 with an 8 inch extended flocked lens tube, ISO 800, 30s and 19 lights 8 flats 29 bias raw files, elevation was 83% when I finished but with the gutter taking over I had to do a heavy crop anyway. I did have more lights but I wasn't waving my seat cushion in quite the right way to block the pesky street light ruining the frame. DSS, StarTools crop and 50% bin with other fiddles and final red bias adjust in PaintShopPro

comet 41p v2.png

Noce picture.

Got my 120ED out last night, when the comet was much close to M108, actually the upper side of M108 in your picture. 50x-80x works well for seeing both M108 and the comet:wink:

14 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Just managed to spot it in the 15x70 bins. Will set up the C8 shortly and see what looks in the big scope

Had a look using 10"SCT and it's a fuzzy blob :grin:

Dave

Just now, happy-kat said:

Wlel spotted Dave.

Did you manage to capture it on your camera Tuesday?

Got enough pics for an animated Gif but not done anything with them, moves really fast in the SCT.

Dave

10 hours ago, Peco4321 said:

I managed to get all 3 last night, not the prettiest processing but I'm happy. 40x20 sec ISO 3200, 20x dark, 20 x bias. DSS and PS express. Skywatcher 150p eq3-2 canon 1100d. 

IMG_2138.JPG

Nice picture. It's always good when a comet passes close to  DSOs. Wish had got to see the 3 together.

When you're looking for this comet in an 8" scope and you eventually see it, it will come as a surprise. It's so faint and diffuse that it's a cheek to call it a comet or even a fuzzy object! I spent an hour looking for it on Friday night without success. I was observing away from home in the Vale of Glamorgan and didn't have Stellarium with me. I had marked the point where it should be on my pocket sky atlas but couldn't find it. Knowing what I know now it was probably in the field of view at some point. Last night then up in the Brecon Beacons I took my computer with me and was able to focus on the exact spot where it was said to be according to Stellarium. Thankfully, in this case, there was a gust of wind to shake the scope as wiggling the scope back and fore at 40x magnification was the only was to see that there was a faint patch of fuzzy light there. Quite large. Someone else at the viewing site took a photo of the comet and it was a really nice blue object. One for the imagers rather than the visual astronomers to admire I think, although I am pleased to have seen the comet especially after the protracted hunt.

Had both my 10x50's and 20x80 binos out tonight looking for the comet but to no avail. I'll try again, next time looking for a diffuse patch rather than the fuzzy nucleus I was thinking to look for.:bino2:

I caught this one quite nicely on the second night at DIYPSP. No luck on the first night as the transparency wasn't there, but Goto took me straight to it last night. Visible in both the Tak (with 24mm) and more obvious in the C925. Not spectacular, but good to have seen still. 

Likewise at the DIYPSP. It must be brightening as it was direct vision in my 70mm finder. This one needs a bigger scope to see the off center brightening towards the core.

Also, if using a package such as Stelarium, make sure that it has downloaded the latest updates. Otherwise you maybe be looking in the wrong place.

Paul

Although it can to be seen under good conditions with say 10x50s, with a bit of a struggle and more comfortably in 15x70s, I was amazed to see a report of it being 'seen' naked eye last night.  Perhaps one for your sharp eyed children !

andrew

Last night, I was able to spot 41/P with 7x50 widefield bins and the 8" f/4 Hofheim traveldob. NELM 5.7 mag, SQM-L 21,13. Large and very diffuse object, the coma diameter about almost 30 arc min with the bins (averted vision), appeared smaller (about 20 arc min) at V=33x with the dob. Almost round, DC about 3; brightness about 7,5 mag (very difficult to estimate due to the large area of the coma).  No tail detectable. Looked somewhat like the M33 galaxy.

Comet C/2015 V2 Johnson looked  more comet-like with about 9.0 mag, coma diameter of about 8 arc min, DC 4-5.

Nice to compare them both.

Stephan

Archived