Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi! 

I just remembered I had made a short gif of Neptune this summer over two nights. My fast reflector has a huge field of view, so you can't really make out any detail on the planet's surface. But you can still definitely make it out, and see that Neptune did indeed wander over the time of a few nights - a planet indeed!

Enjoy, and let me know what you think!

neptune-change.gif

Nice images, it would be really cool if some one made a really long one over several months.....I saw Uranus once, I shall have to try for Neptune, too. :) 

Is that a moon on its right? It moves with the planet, and I think there's another on the left--I'm sure that's not just noise.

John

21 hours ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Nice images, it would be really cool if some one made a really long one over several months.....I saw Uranus once, I shall have to try for Neptune, too. :) 

Is that a moon on its right? It moves with the planet, and I think there's another on the left--I'm sure that's not just noise.

John

Cool! I think I see what you're talking about in the frame in which Neptune is farther to the bottom left. But I'm not sure if I can find it in the second frame. Do you think you could circle the potential moon(s) in both frames please? Maybe in a screenshot? That's such a great observation, and I'd love to look into it more!!!!! I really hope you can show me:)

Hi,

Sorry about the late reply, I've just done a quick stretch of a couple of screen shots, and got this: you will need to open them up full size and then zoom to see clearly. I'm pretty sure there's one on each side, the first frame doesn't show the left hand one very well, but the second does clearly, so it might just be noise; the left hand ne is almost certainly Triton.  Do you have the days the photos were taken on so I can confirm if moons were in those positions? If so, congratulations on catching a Mag. 14 moon!

I apologize for my ridiculous eye for detail, just had nothing better to do so thought I'd look see if you had caught the moons :D.

John

58befb0a3b91c_Neptunemotion-GettingStartedWithImaging-StargazersLounge-InternetExplorer07_03_201718_02_17.thumb.png.3745a1ef1f29abb4520b4e0fd41f41f6.png58befb0d19384_Neptunemotion-GettingStartedWithImaging-StargazersLounge-InternetExplorer07_03_201718_02_28.thumb.png.033c48a68eb7be2189ce1fe3179a28cc.png

5 hours ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Hi,

Sorry about the late reply, I've just done a quick stretch of a couple of screen shots, and got this: you will need to open them up full size and then zoom to see clearly. I'm pretty sure there's one on each side, the first frame doesn't show the left hand one very well, but the second does clearly, so it might just be noise; the left hand ne is almost certainly Triton.  Do you have the days the photos were taken on so I can confirm if moons were in those positions? If so, congratulations on catching a Mag. 14 moon!

I apologize for my ridiculous eye for detail, just had nothing better to do so thought I'd look see if you had caught the moons :D.

John

58befb0a3b91c_Neptunemotion-GettingStartedWithImaging-StargazersLounge-InternetExplorer07_03_201718_02_17.thumb.png.3745a1ef1f29abb4520b4e0fd41f41f6.png58befb0d19384_Neptunemotion-GettingStartedWithImaging-StargazersLounge-InternetExplorer07_03_201718_02_28.thumb.png.033c48a68eb7be2189ce1fe3179a28cc.png

Thanks so much for doing this! I never would have noticed on my own! I took the second image in the gif on July 26, 2016. Let me know if you can identify it!

Archived