SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Chris-

Hi there, my name is Chris from Barnsley, South Yorkshire. I'm completely new to all this and just managed to buy a brand new Celestron Powerseeker 80EQ for £80 and was wandering if i have made the right choice.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum! haven't got any experience with that scope myself but someone will be asking shortly who will be able to help! You have picked a great time of year to start with loads of great sights.

Never be scared of asking any questions on this site-we are always happy to help and generally regards ourselves as quite a friendly bunch!

Popeye.

Hi Chris and a very warm welcome to the Lounge. £80 is a good price for a  Celestron Powerseeker 80EQ. It will start you on the road to visual astronomy. i suggest you look at buying a book called "Turn left at Orion" You can find it on Amazon. A great book to help you search for objects around the night sky.

Steve

8 minutes ago, sloz1664 said:

. i suggest you look at buying a book called "Turn left at Orion" You can find it on Amazon. A great book to help you search for objects around the night sky

And download a (free) programme called 'stellarium' while you're at it!!

I don't know what the weather is like down your way but the next couple days will be brilliant for testing out your new scope as the moon is a spectacular target for beginners-although funnily enough full moon is (in the words of Patrick Moore) ' the very worst time to observe' so the next couple days is when she is at her best. have a look along where the shadow between lit and unlit is to get the best bits.

Good luck.

Hi. Chris. SGL is the place to be for anyone just   starting on their Astronomy journey.
There is lots you will learn in the SGL forums, and if at anytime you are stuck for answers to something, just ask, and a whole army
of knowledgeable members will come to your aid.
Your 80eq Refractor will serve you well for general observations, but In time you will develop the dreaded Aperture Fever
ailment, which simply means you will crave for a bigger Scope. We have all suffered from that complaint,
you can fight it off, but it will just return to torment you :biggrin:.
Enjoy yourself, we'll help you do that.
Best Wishes.

Thanks everyone, just had my first go and was blown away with the detail of the moon. Was harder when using the barlow but starting to get the hang of focusing now. Thought i was outside only 20 minutes but checked my watch and i had been there 2.5 hours.

Chris

Archived