Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

ollypenrice

The Mesu is five.

While sorting out some old pictures for Yves he linked me to an SGL thread from 2012, shortly after he brought the Mesu down here. I wrote a description of the mount and some discussion followed. I hadn't realized that I've been using this mount for just over five years, now. Bear in mind that it's in commercial use and that we get a lot of clear nights here.

In the discussion which followed there was some understandable scepticism about the friction drive mechanism. Would it wear and begin to slip? Well, the mount has never dropped a sub. We've dropped one or two because of lost guide stars, a wobbly OAG, a snagged cable or a clumsy Olly Penrice but the mount has yet to make a mistake. 

Not many of us can name our mounts as the most reliable part of our kit but that is so for me. The Mesu began life carrying Yves' 14 inch Dall Kirkham and imaging at 0.66 arcsecs per pixel. For the last three years it has been carrying the house 'Twin Tak' dual rig co-owned by Tom O'Donoghue. It just works.

I'm hoping to pick up a second of the early Argonavis/Stellarcat versions at some point because this suits me more than the more PC reliant SiTech version. I just don't really like letting the internet anywhere near my mounts. (Note recent hassles involving a change to Windows' clock conflicting with the SiTech clock. Not the end of the world if you are doing it for fun, but not good at all if you have guests in for a week to use the gear.)

So the Mesu marches on.

Olly

Yves and the Mesu back in 2012. YVES.thumb.jpg.46957cef83571791921defd51c332f45.jpg

• Like 4

That mount has served you really well and will continue to :)

I'm hoping to get my hands on a mesu mount in the future :grin:

Rajesh 

Thanks for sharing Olly! Your posts and Sara's ones convinced me a few months ago to go in this direction. I am now waiting for the mount that is expected to come the following weeks.

Clear skies Olly!

Well that's some praise for what is essentially a "mid price-range mount." If I were to require a mount to carry more weight I would certainly purchase the mesu.

Steve

Edited by sloz1664

You and your work have been a good ambassador for the Mesu and now there are many of us out there following your lead...... Sometimes it's risky being something of a pioneer, easy when you have a good product to back it all up with :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, swag72 said:

You and your work have been a good ambassador for the Mesu and now there are many of us out there following your lead...... Sometimes it's risky being something of a pioneer, easy when you have a good product to back it all up with :)

To be fair, if there was a risk to be taken, Yves took it. It was originally his mount. At the time of deliberation, though, I remember a comment by Maurice Toet, another Dutchman: 'Lucas Mesu does his homework.' I believe that Lucas Mesu does, indeed, do his homework. I know of issues here and there but I know of none without solution. Above all I think that the roller drive principle is sound and sound long term. I also like my Avalon and I feel I've had, or seen, enough worm and wheel problems to last me a lifetime. Of course, all we individuals live in worlds of fairly small samples but we are bound to be influenced by them.

Olly

• Like 2

...and just now I said 'Yes' to a second Mesu of the same generation. :icon_mrgreen: I'm very happy with our Avalon, which does work sweetly and predictably, but on the Mesu I can put our 10 inch ACF and the TEC 140 together. I think the 10 inch would be too much for the Avalon. Meades are quite heavy. I also know that the Mesu can easily guide a 2.5 metre focal length. It will be great to have two identical mounts and a set of key spares, some of which I already have thanks to NCJunk on here. On the other hand a second TEC might have something to be said for it... STOP!

The vendor is coming down this way in late spring and will deliver it, so I'll have time to weld up a pier before it arrives.

Olly

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Nova2000 said:

Which was the biggest scope you used on the Mesu 200 ollypenrice? 

14 inch ODK. However, in a moment of madness we tried running a dual rig with the ODK side by side with a heavy 10 inch Russian Photomak. The mount could handle it but there were other issues, notably mirror flop, which killed the project.

Olly

• Like 2

Good to hear, Olly! Because of your topic, I did some history research myself. It turns out my Astro-Physics Mach1 turns 8 years old next June.

It's a first generation version which A-P introduced as a replacement for their renowned 400 and 600 mounts. The main difference with the current version is that the azimuth adjustment bolts on my mount are north instead of south of the mount base. A-P offers a retrofit, but they charge $295 for that. Thanks, but no. I've never bothered to upload firmware-updates for the drive controller; if it ain't broke don't mend it.

Apart from my own (countless) stupidities, I can also claim it never lost a sub. It has spring loaded worms and that makes a big difference compared to "regular" worm gears. A big plus of the Mach1 is the meridian delay function the drive controller provides. It will run through the meridian without asking/alarming for a meridian flip. If desired - and if there is enough clearance - the drive controller can also place the telescope far east (with the counterweight bar pointing up) to track an object from east to west without the need for a meridian flip.

Before the Mach1 I owned a Losmandy GM-8 (non-GoTo version). Yes, Olly, I hear you sigh, but mine performed actually quite well. Maybe because I replaced the worms by high precision worms of Ovision. Before the GM-8, a Vixen GP-DX was my work horse. Also a very nice mount and costed a fortune back then. I'm talking late '90s. I paid 3250 Guilders (about 1500 Euros / 1300 GBP) for my dual axis motor driven (non-GoTo) GP-DX. I just saw one for sell (in mint condition) for just 300 Euros!

Edited by mftoet
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, mftoet said:

Good to hear, Olly! Because of your topic, I did some history research myself. It turns out my Astro-Physics Mach1 turns 8 years old next June.

It's a first generation version which A-P introduced as a replacement for their renowned 400 and 600 mounts. The main difference with the current version is that the azimuth adjusting bolts on my mount are north instead of south of the mount base. A-P offers a retrofit, but they charge $295 for that. Thanks, but no. I've never bothered to upload firmware-updates for the drive controller; if it ain't broke don't mend it.

Apart from my own (countless) stupidities, I can also claim it never lost a sub. It has spring loaded worms and that makes a big difference compared to "regular" worm gears. A big plus of the Mach1 is the meridian delay function the drive controller provides. It will run through the meridian without asking/alarming for a meridian flip. If desired - and if there is enough clearance - the drive controller can also place the telescope far east (with the counterweight bar pointing up) to track an object from east to west without the need for a meridian flip.

Before the Mach1 I owned a Losmandy GM-8 (non-GoTo version). Yes, Olly, I hear you sigh, but mine performed actually quite well. Maybe because I replaced the worms by high precision worms of Ovision. Before the GM-8, a Vixen GP-DX was my work horse. Also a very nice mount and costed a fortune back then. I'm talking late '90s. I paid 3250 Guilders (about 1500 Euros / 1300 GBP) for my dual axis motor driven (non-GoTo) GP-DX. I just saw one for sell (in mint condition) for just 300 Euros!

Your AP is one of those mounts I've been seeing regularly over the years and it has always impressed me as something which just works.  It also has such nice cable management. Sprung worms are a good idea if done properly. (I did once see, dismantled, a lovely old Carl Zeiss coudé refractor from the early sixties, observatory class. On that the anti backlash consisted of having the main gear wheels machined out of two steel blanks side by side. They were spring loaded apart so that it was the pinion that squeezed them together once it was in mesh. The joint between the two halves was almost invisible even when you were looking for it.)

Olly

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

...and just now I said 'Yes' to a second Mesu of the same generation. :icon_mrgreen: I'm very happy with our Avalon, which does work sweetly and predictably, but on the Mesu I can put our 10 inch ACF and the TEC 140 together. I think the 10 inch would be too much for the Avalon. Meades are quite heavy. I also know that the Mesu can easily guide a 2.5 metre focal length. It will be great to have two identical mounts and a set of key spares, some of which I already have thanks to NCJunk on here. On the other hand a second TEC might have something to be said for it... STOP!

The vendor is coming down this way in late spring and will deliver it, so I'll have time to weld up a pier before it arrives.

Olly

Result.  

• Like 1

A second Mesu on the way, now that's an endorsement.