sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

As we all know, seven earth-like planets have been discovered orbiting the low-mass-star TRAPPIST-1.   TRAPPIST-1 is reported to be located only 12 parsecs (39 light yrs) from us.  Can anyone described how this distance was determined?  Thanks.

Jordan a common method to measure distance to stars is the parallax method. Essentially triangulation where the position of the star is compared over say a 6 month period.  The other method is effectively by comparison to a standard known reference (standard candles). Here the distance to so called Cepheid variables stars is taken as the reference. I don't know for certain but I suspect that one of either method was used in this case. I believe parallax favours nearby stars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax

Jim

Edited by saac

The official web site is www.trappist.one which has a multitude of links to data if you wish to delve deeper.

We were lucky enough to have one of the authors - Dr Amaury Triaud from Cambridge University - speak for us at Norwich Astronomical Society last year about using the moon to help find exo-planets and exo-planet research in general (he wasn't allowed to talk specifically about the Trappist-1 discoveries as they were unpublished at the time but you could tell it was going to be a biggie!)

Dr Triaud is a really good speaker - if you ever get the chance to listen to him I'd heartily recommend it. 

AndyG

Edited by 101nut
4 hours ago, Jordan Konisky said:

I thought parallax, but was looking for the actual report.  Thanks, Reggie for that trappist-1 info site which cites the Hipparcos data. 

I believe that CTIOPI has the most recent data for TRAPPIST-1, here you go: http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1086/505706/pdf

TRAPPIST-1 is referred to as 2MASS 2306-0502.

Edited by glappkaeft

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By mdstuart
      So a quick quiz for your enjoyment. Guess the two constellations below just from charts showing the distances to the brighter galaxies I have seen in each constellation. The y access is distance in million light years and the x access is the number seen.
      Constellation 1

Constellation 2

Enjoy..
      Mark - missing galaxy hunting due to lack of astronomical darkness..
    • By Christopher Davenport
      Hello,

We had our family come and stay with us for the x mas holidays and I introduced them to my new passion. (astronomy)
      During our sessions, I found it hard to explain the distances to the planets / objects we where viewing.

So I created a small table to try to make the distances relevant. I.e how long would it take to drive to them on the motorway.
      _________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Planet __________Km to Earth (Closest) _Driving Years (Motorway) _Year to Leave ___ Events
      Moon ____________384,400 __________0.4___________________ 2013 __________ Last Year
      Venus __________41888000 __________40 ___________________1974___________ Godfather II Released
      Mars __________ 74800000 __________ 71 ___________________ 1943___________ Second World War raging
      Mercury ________ 91256000 __________87 ___________________1927___________ Great Depression starting
      Sun _________149,600,000 __________ 142 __________________ 1872 ___________ Industrial revolution begining
      Jupiter _______ 628320000 ___________598___________________1416 ___________30 years before Newton
      Saturn _______1271600000 _________ 1210___________________ 804 ___________ Beginning of Dark ages
      Uranus _______2722720000 _________2590__________________ -576 ____________Pre Roman iron age
      Neptune ______4353360000 _________4141_________________ -2127 ____________Stone henge created
      Pluto _________5759600000_________ 5479 _________________-3465 ___________Copper Age begins
      Alpha
      Centuri ______4.14865E+13 ______39465849 _____________-39 Million ____________Early Primate evolution
      Pleiades
      (M45) ________3.6462E+15 ____3468607306 ____________ -3,5 Billion _____________Oldest Fossils of Life
      Betelgeuse ____6.0873E+15 ____5790810502 ____________-5, 8 Billion ____________Just after Sun ignites
      Orion (M42) ____1.2768E+16___ 12146118721___________ -12,1 Billion ____________Just after Big Bang
      Double Cluster__ 7.125E+17___ 677796803653 ___________- 678 Billion ____________50x Universe
      Andromeda ____2.4111E+19_ 22936643835616 _________-2,294 Billion ____________1760 x Universe
      _________________________________________________________________________________________________
      For the analytical you will notice some errors, but was just for fun to put things into perspective.
    • By Rihard
      Hi all,
      quick question.
      Some Soviet robotic missions and the Apollo missions have left some reflectors on the surface of the moon. They can be used to measure the distance of the moon from the Earth by calculating how long the reflected light takes to come back to you.
      Is this experiment possible also for us common humans with affordable equipment in the comfort of our backyards?
      What exact equipment is needed for that?
      Cheers

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.