SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Missing Finderscope - Beginner Troubles

I recently bought a Celestron AstroMaster 76EQ as the man at Maplin recommended after watching a video showing the basic setup tutorial. It says in the video and on the box it has an attached finder-scope. However, when opened I found there was no attached finder-scope and instead a Star Pointer finder-scope (link: http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/accessories/navigation/star-pointer-finderscope) with no instructions on installation, just a directed PDF about brackets which were not in the box. What shall I do? Has anybody else had the same problem?

Does yours look like the picture you linked to? Every astromaster I've seen has a built in one like the one below. Can you give us the link to the instructions about fitting a different finder? The standard astromaster one is not well thought of so perhaps you've actually got lucky. 

celestron-astromaster-red-dot-finder-114

So you just found the instructions yourself rather than being directed to them by the literature in the box? Also, those instructions aren't actually for the finder in your first link although most of the general operation is the same. I agree with Cornelius, just take it back if the provided finder does not fit/is the wrong part. I would also suggest that it would be worth changing scope to something a bit larger as well if you're taking the scope back anyway. 

Unfortunately, most of the manufacturers produce a range of scopes ranging from poor to excellent and so you can't really just go by brand. If you look at the first light optics website you should get an idea of which scopes are good ones to buy as they don't tend to stock the ones that fall into the "poor" category. What I would suggest is that you avoid any reflector telescope with a focal length that is about twice as long as the tube or any telescope with a very flimsy mount. 

If you have a particular budget in mind let us know and I'm sure people will jump in with suggestions. 

I'd say the missing & different items were a blessing-in-disguise: It should make it all the easier to return the scope.

As my colleague Richochet aptly indicated, this scope is in the 'poor' camp. But you've found us as a result, that's good, and we're the end-users of these products and not advertisers. We'll be happy to help you find something in the 'good or better' camp. And that you can afford! So the more about your interests & budget you can give us, the better we can recommend something that will be the best for you.

Have fun -

Dave

For that money I think the best option is the Skywatcher Heritage 100p but if you can stretch to £150 I would suggest going with the larger Skywatcher Heritage 130p. Both of these scopes have mini/tabletop dobsonian bases and so need to be placed on top of something in order for you to observe comfortably. The 100p has a 3/8" thread and can be attached to a camera tripod if you have one but the 130p does not. Buying a cheap Astro tripod from Astroboot and fixing it to the bottom of the 130p base is a fairly common solution (but of course buying an extra tripod is extra cost). 

I've linked to the Tring Astro website above because they offer free shipping which currently works out a bit cheaper than FLO on the scopes in question. 

I'd recommend saving-up for the 130p. These are among the most popular and highly rated telescopes here. It seems only good things are said about them! And that speaks volumes!

Free shipping can't be beat, either. A dealer with free shipping can be a gold-mine after a bit of time.

Enjoy -

Dave

Archived