newby numpty with a new heq6 pro goto

well my new tripod has turned up 

this will prob be a long ongoing thread so ill apologise now 

ok so I've made a power lead up as it only comes with a car adapter 

i have set up the latitude dial and I'm happy with that 

first is this polaris alignment malarky 

on the you tube vids it shows guys doing the alignment during the day , how is this possible ? 

i have downloaded the ps align app which shown where polaris should be at the current time 

but anything past that I'm kinda stuck , different you tube vids show different ways and conflict each other 

any tips would be really appreciated 

thanks in advanace 

Hi Darren,

Not sure what the problem is, but if i read your post right, paying particular attention to the line " shows guys doing the alignment during the day , how is this possible ?  I suspect what they are doing is aligning the polar scope to RA axis of the mount. The polar scope does not come aligned to the mount from the factory. Having not seen the video, I am guessing that, simply put, what they have done is to adjust the altitude adjustment bolts so that the cross hairs of the polar scope are sitting directly on an object at least 1 mile away - pylon, chimney - whatever. They then rotate the mount in the RA axis 180 deg. The cross hairs may or may not have moved off the target. If it has, utilising the 3 off small allen head bolts on the perimeter of the polar scope, make very small adjustments so that you take the cross hairs half way towards the original target. Then rotate the mount 180 deg, back to its starting position. If still required, utilising the 3 off small allen head bolts, make very small adjustments so that you take the cross hairs half way towards the original target. Keep repeating these steps until you can no longer see the cross hairs move off the target. Once achieved you have aligned your polar scope to the mount. The reason for doing this is so that you can achieve better polar alignment. Try having a read of the manual, I think it is page 10, 11, or 12.

I may have interpreted your post incorrectly and therefore typed completely correct information - but answering completely the wrong question. Hey Ho

I wonder if the video shows them aligning the telescope direction or if it is showing them adjusting the finderscope to be in line with the view of the telescope (which is easy to do in the day?)

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 20:57, darren west said:

I've made a power lead up as it only comes with a car adapter 

Do you mean you've made up a power lead with a standard 3 pin plug on it?  Don't forget a car adapter implies that the set-up requires only a 12V supply, I don't know anything about the kit you've got, but just make sure you don't fry it with the wrong voltage.  Does the lead have a transformer in it or something similar?

NB.  Apologies if this is has something to do with elderly relatives and eggs, but I just thought it was worth mentioning.

3 hours ago, JOC said:

Do you mean you've made up a power lead with a standard 3 pin plug on it?  Don't forget a car adapter implies that the set-up requires only a 12V supply, I don't know anything about the kit you've got, but just make sure you don't fry it with the wrong voltage.  Does the lead have a transformer in it or something similar?

NB.  Apologies if this is has something to do with elderly relatives and eggs, but I just thought it was worth mentioning.

don't worry mate I'm a electrical engineer 

would be funny tho 

1 hour ago, darren west said:

don't worry mate I'm a electrical engineer

That's great - obviously no insult was intended, but I do know people who might not have given it a second thought!  I've just noted your location - that's only about 10 miles from me :-D

Archived