Jump to content

Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

What would you like to see at SGL's 2017 Star Party?


Grant
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 04/03/2017 at 16:16, reddoss said:

- how about a guest speaker to give a talk in the Café just before the Friday night curry and quiz?

Won't Friday evening will be many people's first night?  If so, it will be a busy afternoon/evening for many setting up their tents and scopes.  Might it not be better to schedule talks for the weekend?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd like it to be made compulsory for tich to wear his Viking hat all weekend (seriously).

It should also be made compulsory that Martin-"The-thrill-is-gone"-B quaffs heartily with me and Nicnac outside my tent for at least one night (or until he sings and dances).

I also think Mike M should fix it again for our team to keep on winning his excellent quiz (usual payment terms, Mike?;)).

Edited by lulu57
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You're always going to hold this in new moon, of course. And I'm always going to be working in new moon, of course. Otherwise I'd be delighted to do processing workshops using my scandalously simple techniques. I suppose that there is the outside chance that I miight get a totally self propelled group at my place at the time, giving me the opportunity to volunteer. I'd certainly love to volunteer but I only have the two dark weeks per month in which to make a living. I live in hope.

Olly

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

You're always going to hold this in new moon, of course. And I'm always going to be working in new moon, of course. Otherwise I'd be delighted to do processing workshops using my scandalously simple techniques. I suppose that there is the outside chance that I miight get a totally self propelled group at my place at the time, giving me the opportunity to volunteer. I'd certainly love to volunteer but I only have the two dark weeks per month in which to make a living. I live in hope.

Olly

 

Skype??? :wink2:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you wear that next week Tich, they'll make you the High Druid of Brecon and make you sits for hours in an 18 foot high oak chair. :headbang:

Edited by Freff
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, tich said:

Yaaaar!!!!!

58c9b11542012_MeLOL.thumb.jpg.5ca5d7661019586359f9237da2e21219.jpg

Yaaaaaarrrrrghhhh! Fantastic!

I think we should rename tich.

Bjorn Beer-Quaffer?  Sigfred Scope-Twitcher?  Beinar Big-Breakfast-Eater?

I think that serious time and attention should be given to this community matter in the café!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Assuming I manage to make it (The dates are a bit awkward) I'd like some insight on getting the best from AstroArt V.

I use it for all my processing but I'm sure I'm not getting the best from it.

Olly?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/03/2017 at 18:08, lulu57 said:

 

I also think Mike M should fix it again for our team to keep on winning his excellent quiz (usual payment terms, Mike?;)).

We were robbed! What has pop music got to do with astronomy!

Anne

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, DaveS said:

Assuming I manage to make it (The dates are a bit awkward) I'd like some insight on getting the best from AstroArt V.

I use it for all my processing but I'm sure I'm not getting the best from it.

Olly?

Sorry, I'm always tied up with guests (well, you know what I mean...) in the moonless weeks. I only stack, calibrate, colour-combine and cosmetically repair in AA. After that it's PI and Ps. I'd love to make it one time though.

Olly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We could do "stargazing live" even if cloudy at Lucksall by linking up to Olly's place, perhaps Atik will send him one of those live view cameras for the event and we could get to see some of the more southerly objects that evade us.....

I think a group Visible Messier Marathon could be a lot of fun. I am happy to volunteer my 18" dob for this, with tick off sheets for every observer.  Wouldn't have to be Messiers, there is a good session to be had just doing Open Clusters in Cassiopeia. Saiboat cluster anybody? I always find working through a list of targets to be more productive than the usual "What does everyone want to look at?" conversations.

I would also like to see it darker, in that more attendees understand that red headlight torches are just as blinding as white light, and that white lights in blue tents kill the whole field......

As always, thank you for your work on this Grant :)

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

With team scumbag on the case, it will be an easy win  :D:evil4:

I do love entering into the spirit of smug with you Rob!

I think we should go back to Team Scumbag again this year...Les Quizerables was all very well, but lacked the anarchic undercurrent of Scumbag.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Tim said:

I would also like to see it darker, in that more attendees understand that red headlight torches are just as blinding as white light, and that white lights in blue tents kill the whole field......

Are you sure it was the red light blinding you, Tim, or was it Mr Dunbar's Laphroaig? :wink2:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I asked Hels and she said she would like a workshop on star hopping for beginners. She likes scanning about with the bins and thought some basic tips would be good.

For me, I think a mechanical mount refurbishment demonstration would be very useful, to show people the inner workings of an EQ mount and what to clean / adjust. A mount could be used that is purposely under or over adjusted and people can have a go improving it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

A guest speaker would be nice.  No Idea of how much it would cost. Depends on the guest I suppose.                         Dr. Alan Chapman would be my choice, but again, price could be prohibitive. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.