SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What would you like to see at SGL's 2017 Star Party?

Grant

On 17/04/2017 at 10:11, reddoss said:

When I frist started coming (SGL4) there used to be a tour of the site and of different peoples scopes/imaging set ups espeicaly for newcomers. I am not sure if this was official but I think it was run by Helen and MikeP. Think this might be a good icebreaker.

Yep I enjoyed that last time . Good way of meeting people.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

would like something on guiding with maxim, cant seem to get it to work properly, always getting star faded or star not moved 5 pixels

Must be doing something wrong :lol:  sigh, will keep with unguided at the moment :D 

32 minutes ago, Velvet said:

would like something on guiding with maxim, cant seem to get it to work properly, always getting star faded or star not moved 5 pixels

Must be doing something wrong :lol:  sigh, will keep with unguided at the moment :D 

Are you bringing the mount that will not guide?????

On 14/04/2017 at 21:06, Grant said:

That is incredibly useful feedback - thank you for posting :) 

We have plans afoot to address most of those points (hopefully!) but we will make sure ALL of them are considered because they are all very important.

Cheers,

Grant

I won't be at the star party but as an outsider looking in ( so to speak) I do have some points on the inclusion of new attendees. I'm sure it's mostly about the age old " chicken and egg" syndrome. "The newbies were very quiet so we didn't want to bother them" kind of thing.

As a boy I developed debilitating social anxiety. People mistook it for shyness. That's much of the reason that my two best friends were my dog and the night sky. I'm probably 80% over that now after a life of effort. But even now at 52 years, 11 months and 2 weeks old, I still have panics in certain situations. For example after 2 months I finally met our new next door neighbour this morning. I heard him on his drive behind me and I wanted to just disappear. Was I supposed to shake his hand? Introduce myself? Should I just get in my car and drive off even though I wasn't actually going anywhere? In less than 15 seconds I was filled with dread and was sweating profusely and I hadn't even turned to face him.  That's why I never joined the local Astro Soc in my youth even though I'd phoned and enquired a number of times (a task in itself). No, I can't explain it either!

So that "awkward" or withdrawn newbie (or old hand) at the next star party might actually be struggling with not only their equipment but with the apparently simple matter of meeting nice friendly people who share their passion. I'm sure I'm not the only weirdo that's attracted to a hobby that involves spending a lot of time alone!:) Just food for thought!!

p.s. I did turn round and greet the new neighbour. Although the anxiety reflex is still very much there I can usually, but not always, overcome it :) 

If anyone is interested I can do a workshop on variable star observing. The workshop will take someone from beginner right up to expert level. Variable star observing is one of those areas anyone can get into, no matter what your experience or equipment. It's also very rewarding as over time you will see your own light curves develop!

Finding variables involves map reading and star hopping - useful skills in themselves.

The workshop will be practical, so there will be observing and recording. I'll be bringing a scope and charts suitable for use in the workshop.

If anyone is interested, please let me know.

On 9/6/2017 at 13:05, Velvet said:

have you got the two red lines when calibrating? I found they had to be near vertical and horizontal  to work tidy

On 10 September 2017 at 09:40, Mr Spock said:

If anyone is interested I can do a workshop on variable star observing. The workshop will take someone from beginner right up to expert level. Variable star observing is one of those areas anyone can get into, no matter what your experience or equipment. It's also very rewarding as over time you will see your own light curves develop!

Finding variables involves map reading and star hopping - useful skills in themselves.

The workshop will be practical, so there will be observing and recording. I'll be bringing a scope and charts suitable for use in the workshop.

I'm interested. I'm a complete beginner as far as variable stars are concerned.

On 13/08/2017 at 21:38, Trikeflyer said:

... as a newbie, the moon still has plenty to offer me,  how about a workshop for newbies on lunar observing, eg the key landmarks, how to observe them and how to find them, followed by the the lesser known landmarks and how to observe/ find them and then the real difficult landmarks. ...

I'm no expert of lunar landmarks, but I do give a talk on basic observational lunar geology called 'Reading the lunar landscape'.  If there is enough interest and a spare slot, I'd be happy to give this talk.

On 10/09/2017 at 09:40, Mr Spock said:

Would certainly be interested in this! Variable star observing is something I hadn't even considered doing before.

7 hours ago, michaelmorris said:

I'm no expert of lunar landmarks, but I do give a talk on basic observational lunar geology called 'Reading the lunar landscape'.  If there is enough interest and a spare slot, I'd be happy to give this talk.

Well I'm interested, you can definitely put my name on the list and if there is enough interest and you can run this, I'm in for sure.

On 13/09/2017 at 12:33, michaelmorris said:

Interest registered. Find this man a spare slot please. ?

On 9/10/2017 at 10:40, Mr Spock said:

I'd be very interested, but I think I might need to make some modifications to the ML before I can set off to Ferenginar!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm suffering with a little Dec backlash on my EQ3 mount (I know it's a rickety old mount anyway and some members will know I've been talking about upgrading for months!)

Anyhoo, no matter how much fettling I do I can't nail it. If somebody with the mount mojo would like to spend 5 minutes with me and the allen keys that would be much appreciated, there may be welsh cakes in it for you :)

Archived