Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_jupiter.jpg

Grant

What would you like to see at SGL's 2017 Star Party?

67 posts in this topic

How much would it cost to have an inflatable planetarium on one night?

2 people like this

Why not just a midnight bouncy castle party in the style of The Mighty Boosh?

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 17:16, JoeP said:

Due to the wonderful but unpredictable British weather, this may be the only way to see the night sky at some star parties - but hopefully not SGL 2017.

I have been to the last two star parties and missed the start of the friday night quiz and food on both occasions. A paper hand out at the reception with  times and whats happening over the weekend would be a good start. Also there is not a great interaction between the members. Those that have been so many times seem not to want to know anyone else so as a newbee I felt some what outside. A shout from each member present at the quiz night as to where they live would help and if they are visual or imaging. Looking forward to the party this year but hope it does not clash with the autumn party at Kelling heath

4 people like this

3 hours ago, jaygpoo said:

I have been to the last two star parties and missed the start of the friday night quiz and food on both occasions. A paper hand out at the reception with  times and whats happening over the weekend would be a good start. Also there is not a great interaction between the members. Those that have been so many times seem not to want to know anyone else so as a newbee I felt some what outside. A shout from each member present at the quiz night as to where they live would help and if they are visual or imaging. Looking forward to the party this year but hope it does not clash with the autumn party at Kelling heath

That is incredibly useful feedback - thank you for posting :) 

We have plans afoot to address most of those points (hopefully!) but we will make sure ALL of them are considered because they are all very important.

Cheers,

Grant

1 person likes this

Part of the issue with the social side for me is that I love observing more than anything and to some extent I just get stuck in if conditions allow. That said I am always happy for anyone to join me and I bet others are too so do be brave and come over !

If it's not conducive to observing I do wander more myself and have a drink / chat.

1 person likes this

I'm wondering if rather than sticky labels, it would be a worthwhile doing something else for badges. I'm now thinking about making up an A4 sign that I can put in my caravan window or somewhere else that's easy to see.  Maybe even putting up a few.

2 people like this

Just now, cjdawson said:

I'm wondering if rather than sticky labels, it would be a worthwhile doing something else for badges. I'm now thinking about making up an A4 sign that I can put in my caravan window or somewhere else that's easy to see.  Maybe even putting up a few.

I think conference badges on lanyards would be good - easy to transfer to whatever you are wearing 😉

Helen

1 person likes this

Yep Lanyards are already in progress for this year - we tried to organise some for last year but  left it a bit too late (my fault :()!

Timings will be in the welcome pack on arrival and announced on here the week prior plus there will an A board with details posted on during the event too :)

2 people like this

I like that idea.     I'd like to put my forum name, and my calling name on it.    I.e.

calling name: Colin

forum name: cjdawson

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

When I frist started coming (SGL4) there used to be a tour of the site and of different peoples scopes/imaging set ups espeicaly for newcomers. I am not sure if this was official but I think it was run by Helen and MikeP. Think this might be a good icebreaker.

Edited by reddoss

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:31, Davey-T said:

Takes me about three and a half hours pottering along in my old camper van :grin:

Google reckons 3:40 going flat out on every bit of motorway I can get my hands on assuming no hold-ups (on today's UK roads - nah!).  That's a considered trip there and back.

On 17/04/2017 at 10:11, reddoss said:

When I frist started coming (SGL4) there used to be a tour of the site and of different peoples scopes/imaging set ups espeicaly for newcomers. I am not sure if this was official but I think it was run by Helen and MikeP. Think this might be a good icebreaker.

It was official Justyn - Saturday later afternoon was the slot - and I'm happy to act as a tour guide again this year if there is interest :hippy2:

Helen

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, JOC said:

Google reckons 3:40 going flat out on every bit of motorway I can get my hands on assuming no hold-ups (on today's UK roads - nah!).  That's a considered trip there and back.

You need to time it so you go before or after the morning rush and get past Oxford Cheltenham before the schools turn out.

No chance of you going to Galloway then :grin:

Dave

1 person likes this

I'll be quite happy to do a talk on my Telescope setup.  Including some of the history of how I've got to the stage where I am now.  Could be quite interesting for beginners, as it'll show some of the pitfalls that I feel into in the 15 years that I've been doing it. :)

2 people like this

On 06/04/2017 at 17:16, JoeP said:

Not sure there is anywhere to set it up as they are indoor only (well mine is)

Being as i (will most likely) have a pod this year, I can run two, small, focused photoshop processing sessions:

1) Beginner - Intermediate (curves, levels, layer masks)

2) Advanced - Processing of Integrated Flux, Background dust, or very weak supernova remnants (eg: Simeis 147)

1 person likes this