Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What would you like to see at SGL's 2017 Star Party?

Grant

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 17:16, JoeP said:

How much would it cost to have an inflatable planetarium on one night?

Due to the wonderful but unpredictable British weather, this may be the only way to see the night sky at some star parties - but hopefully not SGL 2017.

I have been to the last two star parties and missed the start of the friday night quiz and food on both occasions. A paper hand out at the reception with  times and whats happening over the weekend would be a good start. Also there is not a great interaction between the members. Those that have been so many times seem not to want to know anyone else so as a newbee I felt some what outside. A shout from each member present at the quiz night as to where they live would help and if they are visual or imaging. Looking forward to the party this year but hope it does not clash with the autumn party at Kelling heath

3 hours ago, jaygpoo said:

I have been to the last two star parties and missed the start of the friday night quiz and food on both occasions. A paper hand out at the reception with  times and whats happening over the weekend would be a good start. Also there is not a great interaction between the members. Those that have been so many times seem not to want to know anyone else so as a newbee I felt some what outside. A shout from each member present at the quiz night as to where they live would help and if they are visual or imaging. Looking forward to the party this year but hope it does not clash with the autumn party at Kelling heath

That is incredibly useful feedback - thank you for posting :) 

We have plans afoot to address most of those points (hopefully!) but we will make sure ALL of them are considered because they are all very important.

Cheers,

Grant

Part of the issue with the social side for me is that I love observing more than anything and to some extent I just get stuck in if conditions allow. That said I am always happy for anyone to join me and I bet others are too so do be brave and come over !

If it's not conducive to observing I do wander more myself and have a drink / chat.

I'm wondering if rather than sticky labels, it would be a worthwhile doing something else for badges. I'm now thinking about making up an A4 sign that I can put in my caravan window or somewhere else that's easy to see.  Maybe even putting up a few.

Just now, cjdawson said:

I'm wondering if rather than sticky labels, it would be a worthwhile doing something else for badges. I'm now thinking about making up an A4 sign that I can put in my caravan window or somewhere else that's easy to see.  Maybe even putting up a few.

I think conference badges on lanyards would be good - easy to transfer to whatever you are wearing ?

Helen

Yep Lanyards are already in progress for this year - we tried to organise some for last year but  left it a bit too late (my fault :()!

Timings will be in the welcome pack on arrival and announced on here the week prior plus there will an A board with details posted on during the event too :)

When I frist started coming (SGL4) there used to be a tour of the site and of different peoples scopes/imaging set ups espeicaly for newcomers. I am not sure if this was official but I think it was run by Helen and MikeP. Think this might be a good icebreaker.

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:31, Davey-T said:

Takes me about three and a half hours pottering along in my old camper van :grin:

Google reckons 3:40 going flat out on every bit of motorway I can get my hands on assuming no hold-ups (on today's UK roads - nah!).  That's a considered trip there and back.

On 17/04/2017 at 10:11, reddoss said:

When I frist started coming (SGL4) there used to be a tour of the site and of different peoples scopes/imaging set ups espeicaly for newcomers. I am not sure if this was official but I think it was run by Helen and MikeP. Think this might be a good icebreaker.

It was official Justyn - Saturday later afternoon was the slot - and I'm happy to act as a tour guide again this year if there is interest :hippy2:

Helen

3 minutes ago, JOC said:

Google reckons 3:40 going flat out on every bit of motorway I can get my hands on assuming no hold-ups (on today's UK roads - nah!).  That's a considered trip there and back.

You need to time it so you go before or after the morning rush and get past Oxford Cheltenham before the schools turn out.

No chance of you going to Galloway then :grin:

Dave

I'll be quite happy to do a talk on my Telescope setup.  Including some of the history of how I've got to the stage where I am now.  Could be quite interesting for beginners, as it'll show some of the pitfalls that I feel into in the 15 years that I've been doing it. :)

On 06/04/2017 at 17:16, JoeP said:

How much would it cost to have an inflatable planetarium on one night?

Not sure there is anywhere to set it up as they are indoor only (well mine is)

Being as i (will most likely) have a pod this year, I can run two, small, focused photoshop processing sessions:

1) Beginner - Intermediate (curves, levels, layer masks)

2) Advanced - Processing of Integrated Flux, Background dust, or very weak supernova remnants (eg: Simeis 147)

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 17:55, jaygpoo said:

Hello jaygpoo!

People were so friendly to me when I first turned up at SGL4 - it makes me ashamed that I haven't done the same for others!

If you see me about, say hello and you'd be very welcome to come and have a bevvy or a biccy at our tent. My hair colour changes colour a lot, but I've usually got a big black hoody on with RUSH written across the front in red letters. I'd like to meet you!

• 4 weeks later...

I can't come along, but if I were a beginner at one if these events, say only owning one telescope or even at thinking if getting one stage, what would interest me would be a side by side comparison of say a classic refractor, a Mak, a standard reflector, a really big reflector, and something costing a small fortune, looking at say 3 different types of objects say, a planet, a star cluster, a nebula etc. Just to see what the differences are and how each type of scope might be better than others st certain things.

I would like to see a sign saying Welcome to SGL13

Well...not really...(!) I was just wondering why it's SGL 2017  instead of SGL13.

Do I detect a note of superstition? Are you worried that 13 would blight our nights with cloud? Would you like me to check your horoscope for that night?(!) :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

• 2 months later...

If there is a Cartes Du Ciel whizz available to do a short "How to get the best out of it" type presentation, that would be incredibly useful...think I barely scratch the surface of that package?

Thanks

Chris

It'd be nice if there were different workshops or discussions with 'tracks' for different the disciplines eg one for those interested in imaging another for those interested in visual.  Also one for beginners and one for advanced.  You can't please all the people all the time but having a choice of workshops has worked at other events I've attended.  Personally, I am visual observer and as I've said previously and has appeared in a couple of other posts as well - something about star hopping to find the key visible Messier objects and other clusters / galaxies would be a great maybe concentrating on the constellations that will be visible at the event. Also I like the side by side comparison idea mentioned above. Also perhaps those that have really super scopes that give great views who are willing to show others the views should make it obvious in some way that they are open to this, as a newbie, I wouldn't  like to interrupt someone who wasn't happy about being interrupted so I probably wouldn't ask if I was unsure.  Also, as a newbie, the moon still has plenty to offer me,  how about a workshop for newbies on lunar observing, eg the key landmarks, how to observe them and how to find them, followed by the the lesser known landmarks and how to observe/ find them and then the real difficult landmarks. I know the moon won't be visible during the event so this would have to be a presentation.  Is it possible to have experienced attendees volunteer to be 'go to' people for newbies who have questions or want guidance etc. Finally, observing with binoculars a practical session to spot the key objects visible with binoculars over the weekend. Long list I know and along with all the other ideas above it means a lot of good suggestions for you to weigh up.  Hopefully you can make some of these ideas get off the ground.

Archived