Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What would you like to see at SGL's 2017 Star Party?

Grant

We're still very much in the planning stage and want to add some more activities and elements to the Star Party this year.

Established favourites will return - Friday curry and quiz, Saturday hog roast as well as workshops on the Saturday and bring and buy sale plus, the Sunday roast worked really well last year so that will also be making a return :)

Is there anything else you guys would like to see? Any specific workshop requests or changes to how things are organised or setup?

We're open to new ideas :) If you would prefer to PM me privately then please do.

Cheers,

Grant

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a nice idea - could go - few ways - something sensible like a sky guide tour for the weekend or we could try and get someone to do a wackier more entertaining talk?

6 minutes ago, Grant said:

That's a nice idea - could go - few ways - something sensible like a sky guide tour for the weekend or we could try and get someone to do a wackier more entertaining talk?

wackier more entertaining gets my vote

Just to follow up on Grant's post....

If there is anything specific you want to see in image processing, or capture, please say. That way, we can potentially run some smaller, focused sessions if needed.

I'd like to see something on Maxim. There's just so much to set up to get the best out of it. I struggle with autofocus in particular. I've only just discovered how to set focuser backlash! Also working out filter offsets. Platesolving and displaying your image on in the planetarium screen to check position of scope and recentring after a platesolve. Some of the instructions are a bit cryptic!

Ive also tried installing a different star catalogue but failed to get it to work! My normal one was installed by AstroArt.

Anne

Would it be possible to publish the times of things ahead of the date.   Last time, people (including myself) were arriving and the curry had already started.  Would be useful to have the schedule of things posted on the website ahead of the event, so that no one has to go hunting.

I'd like to see some stars......

- A white board or similar where notices and timings can be written up for all to see.

- Really enjoy the talks/workshops - maybe a couple on prominant constalations to help with targets for the evening. Mark's Galaxy talk was particularly good.

- Love the curry and the hog roast.

- Decent sausages / bacon at the cafe! - happy to pay more. You don't often hear me say that!

Thanks

Paul

On 08/03/2017 at 08:47, Anne S said:

I'd like to see something on Maxim. There's just so much to set up to get the best out of it. I struggle with autofocus in particular. I've only just discovered how to set focuser backlash! Also working out filter offsets. Platesolving and displaying your image on in the planetarium screen to check position of scope and recentring after a platesolve. Some of the instructions are a bit cryptic!

Ive also tried installing a different star catalogue but failed to get it to work! My normal one was installed by AstroArt.

Anne

Some good Maxim vid's here

I had trouble getting it to find the GSC1 star catalogue it wanted it in a particular location

Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i-WZ8IPxvc&list=PL80D4661F04760B48

13 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

ME!, but sadly carnt due to this darn lupus and carnt go out in sunlight, maybe you could have it in my back garden :icon_biggrin:. but I look forward to reading all your posts about it. clear skys charl.

You'd have been alright last time Charl, thick fog most of the time 

Dave

On 04/03/2017 at 16:18, Grant said:

Someone from the Flat Earth Society, perhaps?

<ducks>

Tug of War between those people who own Dobs and the people who dont. A trophy to be awarded also. Finally put the old "Dobs are best" discussion to rest.

Or not. 

The one thing i love reading about every tear at SGL star party...................not the clear skies, not the drinking,not the making of new friends/meeting old friends.

THE HOG ROAST. I never liked pork when i was growing up. Now it is my favourite meat. Slow roast (falling off the bone), crackling to break your teeth on, ribs, pulled pork in a bap (you can keep the BBQ sauce away thanks).

Now im hungry.

5 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Tug of War between those people who own Dobs and the people who dont. A trophy to be awarded also. Finally put the old "Dobs are best" discussion to rest.

Or not. 

I guess you've never met swampy lol, non dob owners will lose.

12 minutes ago, tich said:

I guess you've never met swampy lol, non dob owners will lose.

I was thinking as much. You have to be a certain build to be happy to lug a Dob around. For every Dob owner in the tug of war.......have 2 non-Dob owners.

Hey!!!!!!!!, im only thinking of fun things to do. My other suggestion was an archery competition. Thats a non-runner due to health and safety and letting people loose with deadly weapons.

Paintball?. Harmful enough,easy to organise an event online and lots of fun (so i hear).

Bouncy castle?,slide?.........

Ok, now i'm making it into a child's birthday party.

Archived