Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What would you like to see at SGL's 2017 Star Party?

Grant

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 04/03/2017 at 16:16, reddoss said:

- how about a guest speaker to give a talk in the Café just before the Friday night curry and quiz?

Won't Friday evening will be many people's first night?  If so, it will be a busy afternoon/evening for many setting up their tents and scopes.  Might it not be better to schedule talks for the weekend?

I'd like it to be made compulsory for tich to wear his Viking hat all weekend (seriously).

It should also be made compulsory that Martin-"The-thrill-is-gone"-B quaffs heartily with me and Nicnac outside my tent for at least one night (or until he sings and dances).

I also think Mike M should fix it again for our team to keep on winning his excellent quiz (usual payment terms, Mike?;)).

You're always going to hold this in new moon, of course. And I'm always going to be working in new moon, of course. Otherwise I'd be delighted to do processing workshops using my scandalously simple techniques. I suppose that there is the outside chance that I miight get a totally self propelled group at my place at the time, giving me the opportunity to volunteer. I'd certainly love to volunteer but I only have the two dark weeks per month in which to make a living. I live in hope.

Olly

25 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

You're always going to hold this in new moon, of course. And I'm always going to be working in new moon, of course. Otherwise I'd be delighted to do processing workshops using my scandalously simple techniques. I suppose that there is the outside chance that I miight get a totally self propelled group at my place at the time, giving me the opportunity to volunteer. I'd certainly love to volunteer but I only have the two dark weeks per month in which to make a living. I live in hope.

Olly

Skype??? :wink2:

19 hours ago, tich said:

Yaaaar!!!!!

58c9b11542012_MeLOL.thumb.jpg.5ca5d7661019586359f9237da2e21219.jpg

Yaaaaaarrrrrghhhh! Fantastic!

I think we should rename tich.

Bjorn Beer-Quaffer?  Sigfred Scope-Twitcher?  Beinar Big-Breakfast-Eater?

I think that serious time and attention should be given to this community matter in the café!

Assuming I manage to make it (The dates are a bit awkward) I'd like some insight on getting the best from AstroArt V.

I use it for all my processing but I'm sure I'm not getting the best from it.

Olly?

On 15/03/2017 at 18:08, lulu57 said:

I also think Mike M should fix it again for our team to keep on winning his excellent quiz (usual payment terms, Mike?;)).

We were robbed! What has pop music got to do with astronomy!

Anne

17 hours ago, DaveS said:

Assuming I manage to make it (The dates are a bit awkward) I'd like some insight on getting the best from AstroArt V.

I use it for all my processing but I'm sure I'm not getting the best from it.

Olly?

Sorry, I'm always tied up with guests (well, you know what I mean...) in the moonless weeks. I only stack, calibrate, colour-combine and cosmetically repair in AA. After that it's PI and Ps. I'd love to make it one time though.

Olly

We could do "stargazing live" even if cloudy at Lucksall by linking up to Olly's place, perhaps Atik will send him one of those live view cameras for the event and we could get to see some of the more southerly objects that evade us.....

I think a group Visible Messier Marathon could be a lot of fun. I am happy to volunteer my 18" dob for this, with tick off sheets for every observer.  Wouldn't have to be Messiers, there is a good session to be had just doing Open Clusters in Cassiopeia. Saiboat cluster anybody? I always find working through a list of targets to be more productive than the usual "What does everyone want to look at?" conversations.

I would also like to see it darker, in that more attendees understand that red headlight torches are just as blinding as white light, and that white lights in blue tents kill the whole field......

As always, thank you for your work on this Grant :)

16 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

With team scumbag on the case, it will be an easy win  :D:evil4:

I do love entering into the spirit of smug with you Rob!

I think we should go back to Team Scumbag again this year...Les Quizerables was all very well, but lacked the anarchic undercurrent of Scumbag.

14 hours ago, Tim said:

I would also like to see it darker, in that more attendees understand that red headlight torches are just as blinding as white light, and that white lights in blue tents kill the whole field......

Are you sure it was the red light blinding you, Tim, or was it Mr Dunbar's Laphroaig? :wink2:

I asked Hels and she said she would like a workshop on star hopping for beginners. She likes scanning about with the bins and thought some basic tips would be good.

For me, I think a mechanical mount refurbishment demonstration would be very useful, to show people the inner workings of an EQ mount and what to clean / adjust. A mount could be used that is purposely under or over adjusted and people can have a go improving it.

• 3 weeks later...

A guest speaker would be nice.  No Idea of how much it would cost. Depends on the guest I suppose.                         Dr. Alan Chapman would be my choice, but again, price could be prohibitive. 

Archived