Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ3 Pro guiding success?

Hi all,

I've been following the EQ3 DSO Challenge thread with some interest and it seems like many people can get decently guided subs.  Rather than take that thread into a technical discussion (it's meant to be an image thread isn't it?) I thought I'd start a new post to enquire how people are doing this and the success they get.

I had a clear night last night and finally got it all working without crashes, timeouts or anything bad.  But the PHD2 results were disappointing.

I find it hard to get RA guiding to less than 4 arcseconds RMS.   I seem to have DEC nailed down to consistently less than 1" RMS after using the PHD2 Drift Align tool (It's ace!)  It seems RA swings back and forth +/-4" with a short period (eg 3 up, 2 down corrections repeatedly overshooting the centre line).

I'm using a Skywatcher EQ3 Pro Synscan, PHD2 EQMOD connected by USB to Serial Adapter to Handset (PC Direct Mode, No PEC applied in eqmod or handset) QHY5L-ii and  QHY130mm mini guidscope.  150PDS and Ascom Pulse Guiding.  Here's a guidelog It has two big downspikes (PE I think - they are about 11 mins apart) and a few big upspikes (wind, I think) PHD2 guidelog the new PHD2 beta AutoPecDetect algorithm  You can see the sawtooth quite clearly, it's the same with the usual Hysteris algorithm too.

Can you post your RA RMS values (and what you used to achieve it!) (And maybe a PHD2 logfile if you can)  Thanks!

I have just started using an EQ3 pro with PHD2 and ST4 camera connection, not the prefered way.

So far I have taken upto 360s subs with no problem, only had PHD drop out once due to cable connection.

The first time I had only roughly polar aligned and a rough drift alignment, but PHD2 was great, guiding perfect for 3 hours. PHD was going mental keeping the mount aligned with big spikes all the time, but it done it with perfect 100% keepers at 240s

Second time a better polar alignment and drift alignment and PHD no problem guiding.

By all means post this in the EQ3 challenge, its an imaging and technical discussion thread. Not just showcase.

Cheers

Nige.

8 hours ago, mikey2000 said:

I've been following the EQ3 DSO Challenge thread with some interest and it seems like many people can get decently guided subs.  Rather than take that thread into a technical discussion (it's meant to be an image thread isn't it?)

Fear not! We really want fellow EQ3-ers to  share their problems and solutions!

• 1 year later...

hello all.. i'm hoping someone can help me here.

i'm trying to hook up my SW EQ3 Pro SynScan mount and ZWO ASI120MC guide camera with PHD2.

I haven't done any auto guiding before, so forgive me if my questions are a bit dumb.. I've read quite a few bits online, but get confused with the terminology half the time.

I've got my guide camera connected to my laptop via USB, and the SynScan connected via ST4 to USB too.

I've downloaded and installed all the mount drivers I need (I think?), but nothing seems to happen when i try to control the mount with PHD2.

Any thoughts or advice would be gratefully received and acted upon immediately - it's clear out tonight!

If you can, please help.. you're my only hope.

Thank you..

RAWz.

My setup:

Skywatcher ED80 Pro Telescope + Skywatcher EQ3 Pro SynScan Mount and Tripod + ZWO ASI120MC Guide Camera + Canon EOS 550D + Microsoft LifeCam Polar Cam + PC or MAC.

Archived