Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rosette Nebula Smash'n'Grab

Stub Mandrel

My apologies for the noise on this image, my excuse is that this is 80% only 31 frames (120 secs, 800iso, 130P-DS) taken with the moon up and haze increasing before a complete white-out of cloud this evening. My first session for exactly two months! Rotten shame about the noise along the bottom (I think my mirror is the cause and has to go now!) as otherwise it would be almost passable.

Rosette Nebula.png

13 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

My apologies for the noise on this image, my excuse is that this is 80% only 31 frames (120 secs, 800iso, 130P-DS) taken with the moon up and haze increasing before a complete white-out of cloud this evening. My first session for exactly two months! Rotten shame about the noise along the bottom (I think my mirror is the cause and has to go now!) as otherwise it would be almost passable.

Rosette Nebula.png

It's good, plenty of detail - hope you are correct in diagnosis of noise, see expense fixing wrong 'issue' :)

Yeah, weather is still not doing us any favours,  last night was my first for ages too. I remember clear crisp days and nights for weeks on end as a youngster.

PS.

you want bad? - see my posting 20 x 30s ISO 800 of M42 - dire is complementary

The noise is running across just to bottom, straight across - to my eyes :)

could it be something on the camera? 

Your sig notes the 10D is 'deteriorating', or was this done with the 450D

Just thinking, sensors have linear edges, mirrors tend not to :) 

1 hour ago, iapa said:

The noise is running across just to bottom, straight across - to my eyes :)

could it be something on the camera? 

Your sig notes the 10D is 'deteriorating', or was this done with the 450D

Just thinking, sensors have linear edges, mirrors tend not to :) 

It's the 450D, the 10D is just 'out of the ark', I want to find a use for it... perhaps long exposure trails or something.

9 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Looks good, perhaps test the mirror on a clear night before determining that your mirror is faulty. The rest of the image looks very good.

I've seen this before, and it's at the bottom which is where reflection off the mirror would show up. I never use the viewfinder so losing the mirror is no issue.

Before I do anything drastic, I've looked at the DSS scores and I'm going to stack 30% instead of 80% and see if that makes a difference, i'm guessing more noise, but maybe no band?

Archived