Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Uranium235

Emergency M101

Recommended Posts

After 7 weeks of mind numbing, wall to wall cloud it cleared up for a bit last night.... albeit quite late in the evening - so I rushed out for a quick photon fix to see what I could grab in 30min.

More of a test of the stock focuser really, having removed the Baader steeltrack and going plain vanilla... which to my surprise, actually seemed to work alright. The main difference being the swapping out of the M4 screws that hold it in place to a more substantial M5 bolt, with some delrin washers on the inside tube wall to better distribute the weight.

Its an image that wont exactly set the world alight.... but its better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick I suppose given the *awful* run of bad weather we have had of late :)

Feels a little "soft" to me, probably because when I checked this evening the collimation was a bit out... now corrected.

 

6x300 (2x2 bin)

200pds, Atik383L+

 

rough_101.jpg

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

After 7 weeks of mind numbing, wall to wall cloud it cleared up for a bit last night.... albeit quite late in the evening - so I rushed out for a quick photon fix to see what I could grab in 30min.

More of a test of the stock focuser really, having removed the Baader steeltrack and going plain vanilla... which to my surprise, actually seemed to work alright. The main difference being the swapping out of the M4 screws that hold it in place to a more substantial M5 bolt, with some delrin washers on the inside tube wall to better distribute the weight.

Its an image that wont exactly set the world alight.... but its better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick I suppose given the *awful* run of bad weather we have had of late :)

Feels a little "soft" to me, probably because when I checked this evening the collimation was a bit out... now corrected.

 

6x300 (2x2 bin)

200pds, Atik383L+

 

rough_101.jpg

Very good with faint parts already visible from half an hour. Impressive.

Olly

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers Olly, for half an hour I guess its alright. But i think there might be a couple of hours on tonight at a reasonable time... dont wanna say too much in case I jinx it! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice one, hope you get more data soon! I see you've come down with a serious case of aperture fever and gone to a 200 PDS. Find it challenging to guide?

Congrats on the new ankle biter too :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shibby said:

Nice one, hope you get more data soon! I see you've come down with a serious case of aperture fever and gone to a 200 PDS. Find it challenging to guide?

Congrats on the new ankle biter too :)

Thanks Lewis :)

Ahhh gone for a 200pds as well eh? Do you think your mount can take it?

Im still using the 9x50 finderguider on mine and it seems to work pretty well, but if your PA is too far out you might get punished for it. Also, it doesnt like windy nights - but you should be fine if you are building an obsy to shelter it all.

This is the best image Ive had from the 200pds so far:

31190994781_d1e288acb2_b.jpg

The new little one is fine mate, he's now 6 weeks old and has put on quite a lot of weight already. I dont mind em at this age, all you have to worry about is food and poop, its when they start to talk back when the trouble begins...lol.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Ahhh gone for a 200pds as well eh? Do you think your mount can take it?

No no, not me. I think my next scope might be a refractor actually, but the obs will come first! I seem to be going to great effort in order to minimise the effort... Awesome image, by the way!

Hehe, I bet you volunteer for baby duty on the clear nights ;o)

PS: What has happened to this editor? I get in a right mess trying to quote / reply!

Edited by Shibby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shibby said:

No no, not me. I think my next scope might be a refractor actually, but the obs will come first! I seem to be going to great effort in order to minimise the effort... Awesome image, by the way!

Hehe, I bet you volunteer for baby duty on the clear nights ;o)

PS: What has happened to this editor? I get in a right mess trying to quote / reply!

lol... sorry mate, must have misread your post slightly... doh! :D

One thing you might like to try out is the Samyang 135mm f2, I'm pretty impressed with it so far, and I'm expecting great things when I take it along to my newly acquired dark site (hopefully in a couple of weeks time). I'll bring it along to SGL XIII so you can have a tinker with it (as I will most likely be using the Star71).

Yea, the new forum software took a bit of getting used to, but after a bit its like nothing ever changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Astonishing - the one night I fall to sleep early and it clears up.  Glad you got to take advantage at least.  That is a cracking start for such little data.  All looks tilt-free and some of that finer detail coming through.

Paddy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/03/2017 at 23:33, Uranium235 said:

After 7 weeks of mind numbing, wall to wall cloud it cleared up for a bit last night.... albeit quite late in the evening - so I rushed out for a quick photon fix to see what I could grab in 30min.

Needs must after the prolonged cloud cover many of us across the UK and Europe have experienced: it's always reassuring to get the neurons firing again and remind oneself that you can do this AP thing :icon_biggrin:.

Remarkable capture for such limited data.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Needs must after the prolonged cloud cover many of us across the UK and Europe have experienced: it's always reassuring to get the neurons firing again and remind oneself that you can do this AP thing :icon_biggrin:.

Remarkable capture for such limited data.

Indeed Barry, after such a long (enforced) break its good to get something done. I usually end up making loads of schoolboy errors after so long out of action... a bit like my driving I guess...lol. But after a bit it all comes flooding back. The next break in the clouds will be next weekend, but guess what? Yep... full moon! (as usual).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.