SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which refractor?

Hi, 

I am thinking of buying a refractor to do AP. I have experience with AP using the 8"SCT. I am planning to keep this for visual and planet photography

I have being recommended Explore Scientific brand. This is because of the focuser? I have a canon 450d camera that i use for AP. Apparently DSLR's  can alter the focus of object that have a high declination by pulling along the focuser?  

What are other peoples experience with explore scientific scopes or do people recommend other refractors as a alternative. I am looking to spend around £1000, and would value your opinions before i commit 

Thanks

Dean 

I have an APM-branded Chinese made 80mm F/6 triplet, which in conjunction with a TeleVue TRF-2008 0.8x reducer seems to behave well in conjunction with my EOS 450D. It has the ubiquitous Crayford focuser which can be prone to slip (ask Olly :D), but I tighten the lock nut of the focuser, and haven't had slippage issues yet. I haven't used it for imaging as much as I would like (except lunar and solar, where it is brilliant), but it is also a very good visual instrument next to my trusty C8, giving lovely wide-field views which the C8 cannot match. TS and Explore Scientific supply similar, if not identical scopes.

Thankyou for your reply

I am relieved to hear that you you have no slipping issues with the Crayford focuser. Would you get "Slippage" With a hex focuser with a DSLR at the end?  I am thinking of saving for the 102mm ED APO. for "wider field" imaging. What is peoples opinions of this type of scope?

Cheers

Dean

Archived