Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cloudy nights = re-visit old images!

steppenwolf

I have to keep my hand in somehow with the awful weather conditions so its a re-process of an image I took on 29th July this year. One of the problems with this image was extracting more data from the nebula without making the stars either 'compressed' or more prominent at the same time. This bad weather spell has given me an opportunity to play - but was it worth the time? I'd be interested in your views on the 'before' and 'after' versions.

Original version of NGC6992 Eastern Veil:-

ngc6992_290708_l.jpg

Re-processed version:-

ngc6992_290708_repro.jpg

From a laymans point of view Steve, the veil itself is stronger, but I can't perceive any difference in the surroundings and all contained therein, but a more knowledgable chap may see a different picture.

Is that green an Oxygen line, or whatever the term is? Looks quite nice if it's a genuine component of the veil, and I'm sure it must be.

Ron.

From a laymans point of view Steve, the veil itself is stronger, but I can't perceive any difference in the surroundings and all contained therein

Thanks, Ron, exactly what I was hoping to hear as this was my goal. The green is very much supposed to be there and I worked hard on releasing it!

The second of the two is definately brighter on the veil, but perhaps slightly less natural as a result? Is this more a case of the subject trying to compete with what is a very busy background? Would it be worth trying to lessen the distracting influence this has on the eye, by toning it down?

I agree with Ron that there appears no discernable difference between the two backgrounds.

Anyway it's a cracker of an image.

RB

Is there a statute of limitation as regards the time since an Image was captured and processed, and perhaps subsequent reprocessing conditions applying towards submitting an Image for publication. If there are none, then you ought to consider sending this in.

Ron.

Is this more a case of the subject trying to compete with what is a very busy background? Would it be worth trying to lessen the distracting influence this has on the eye, by toning it down?

This has been the problem with this image all along - the original captured some reasonable nebulosity and I was quite pleased with it but the background stars really do stand out too (this is a very 'starry' part of the sky after all) but toning down the stars resulted in them looking 'over-processed' so I decided that they deserved their place in the image so I would concentrate on 'boosting' the nebulosity and leaving the background as it was. Perhaps toning down the background it what it need!

Hmmm... it's a tricky one Steve.

The background feint stars look to be mostly greenish in colour so altering levels here would presumably "de-clutter" your background, but of course you still want to preserve the greens in the nebulosity of the veil.

RB

Thanks for your comments, folks - this really is a case of 'beauty being in the eye of the beholder' but the I guess this applies to most images!

Roy, keeping that green in the nebula area was a priority but this third incarnation has reduced star depth whilst maintaining the nebulosity at its current level - perhaps I was wrong to try and maintain the stars as they came out in the original? That is a busy sky though!

ngc6992_290708_repro_2.jpg

Archived