Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M81, M82 & more

Popped to the kitchen for a drink and had the obligatory peek out the back door, had to double take. Crystal clear, transparent, dark (for here) sky and as it turned out very good seeing.

So with no moon to add to the LP out came the Tento 10x50 and tripod (oh yes, forgot to mention I got a bigger brother for the 8x40, I'll do a proper write up and comparison when I get the chance and I'm looking for the 20x60 too, might get the 7x35 for giggles as well)

I'd tried for M81/82 with the 8x40 at home when I got them with no joy so I thought I'd use that extra light grasp. I took a bit of time with focus and IPD and off I went to Phecda, through Dubhe, past the little arc of stars towards the little triangle (24 UMa on the right angle) and there was a little fuzzy oval with direct vision, that's M81.

I didn't think I'd bag M82 with 6.4 NELM but a little bit of time and AV and I think that's M82. Make a line from M81 across to the 'top' star in the little triangle, make an adjacent line back from 24 UMa until you have a right angle on the ends (pic) and that's where 82 should be. I stayed with it, got myself under the coat just to eek a little extra dark adaption and confirmed the observation, a little unfocussed star, much smaller than 81. 

Not bad considering I was giving up DSO at home a month or two ago and it's been cloudy for 2 weeks nearly too!

On to a little tour then, still in UMa Mizar and Alcor clearly split unaided but a really pretty sight in the bins, I know some have split Mizar with 10x50 but I couldn't tonight. I thought about having a go at the Owl, but I'm going to need a beefier bino so didn't bother.

So, to feed my cluster hunger, it's Melotte 111, known as Berenice's Hair. A beauty with this FOV, very open, I count 28 members and it's sort of arrow shaped.  

Spinning around to Cancer for M44, the beehive (The greek poet Aratos called it 'Little Mist'), lovely cluster. I count dozens of stars, a misty background exactly as Aratos would have us believe :) It's objects like the beehive that bins were made for.

Finishing off with some favourites then, M45, M42, The Hyades, the Double Cluster, just panning around in the West and enjoying the views for a little while before packing up, the LP is inhibitive at low altitude but still picked out M31, very faint and what a difference from when it's high up in the East where the LP is less evident. 

A very pleasant surprise I must say and much happy am I :thumbsup:

IMG_3962.PNG

Archived