Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Star101

ROR Shed size 10' x 8', Big enough for Mesu 200 with C11?

Still in the planning stage for my new mount. At the moment my NEQ6 Pro spends most of its time in the garden with a tarp over it. I have decided that my new mount, when it arrives, will live in a ROR shed. The location of said shed will be where the NEQ6 is now ( see avatar ) at the bottom of the garden. 

I have managed to get the go ahead for a 10' x 8' shed with a gazebo type posts to aid the roll off roof. My thoughts are, how small could I make this shed as the scope will be mainly used for AP? It will be on a 10" diameter self made Peir.

Any positive advice welcome.

Not a MESU200 but an NEQ6 on a pier with C11 and some spectroscope(s)

My ROR annex is 3 m x 2.8m and fits it very well.

Only real issue to consider is the height of the walls. I was forced to maintain the walls at 2.4m so ended up with quite a high pier.

Mainsail Obs 001s.jpg

Mainsail Obs2 002s.jpg

Mainsail Obs2 009s.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks or the images Merlin66.

Looks to me as if i have the right size shed and could do with a couple of feet wider. :)

5 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

Not a MESU200 but an NEQ6 on a pier with C11 and some spectroscope(s)

My ROR annex is 3 m x 2.8m and fits it very well.

Love the look of your obs! Do you have a build thread?

Here's my Mesu, with C11 and WO123FLT side-by-side in a 11x8 shed, which has a warm room of about 2 foot, so roughly the size you plan.  It works ok, although a bit of ducking around the mount/weights etc at certain angles.  If you could make it slightly bigger you might find it easier, and I'd recommend a warm space under cover when the roof is open.

IMG_20161204_194722.jpg

My build threads are here:

And I've just had a great 15 minutes re-reading these and reliving the excitement and challenges of Obs building!!

Have fun with yours - it is worth the hard work!

Helen 

• Like 1

Thanks for the images and reply Helen. I love your setup. Very impressive :)

I am looking forward to it. Mainly because I wont have to spend so much time setting up before imaging each time! I still have my NEQ6 Pro mount, so stargazing and imaging can still happen.

My new mount is expected next month. My thinking is, it probably wont be here until the last weekend of March, the clocks will go forward. The nights will be much lighter and with the weather being a mare for stargazing it will be best if I take this project slow and steady and work on having it setup for late Summer/Autumn. 

I have found a company that supplies door rails and casters that can hold up to 1000Kg. I hope the roof is no more than 30Kg ;) when complete. The rails are enclosed U shaped, or more like a O with a thin cutting to hold the castor inside. Perfect for helping keep the roof on when windy. Will still be using other means to hold the roof in place just in case. There are a a lot of other things I need to plan too. I have built the decking a few years ago on the side of the house but a shed with a ROR is another matter. I need to make sure the walls can easily hold the roof..on or off! And also that the roof is easy to move. Yep, lots to think about. But its fun :D

The rails and wheels I used for the revised roof build were the best astro purchase I ever made - worth their weight in gold!!! 

Have fun - building and running an obs is a journey not a destination :wink:  The kit and the set up evolves as your astro journey evolves too!

Helen

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By JemC
      In the famous words of Bilbao Baggins, I'm going on an adventure!
      Almost 2 years ago i got rid of my old shed with the intention of replacing it with a R O R shed, 
      Well a lot has happened since then, but no R O R shed ? No way i could build one, my DIY skills are rubbish.
      My mount and scope plus other bits have sat in the garage ever since, mainly because it's such a pain to drag everything out and set up only to be thwarted by cloud/rain, so i decided that they would stay in the garage until the arrival of R O R shed,
      so fast forward 2 years.....
      Well! while browsing some astro sites i happened across an advertisement which said something like wooden observatory for sale, 7ft x 7.5ft, buyer to dismantle and remove, so me being in need of one had a look at the pictures he posted, that will do nicely i thought, so i contacted the seller and asked for more info and pictures,
      It's not a roof that rolls off onto supports, it turns out 1/2 of the roof rolls over the other 1/2 with a front section of the shed that drops down,
      I was happy with what i received from the seller, he couldn't have been more helpful and seems a really nice bloke, 
      Right then, where are you located mate i asked, 
      Bovey Tracey he replied,
      to be honest, i had never heard of it, so time to consult google maps..
      Well it turns out it's only about 270 miles one way from my house in Lancashire ? (so round trip of approx 540 miles)
      Time to make a decision, do the positives outweigh the negatives, is it going to be a cost effective solution in getting my R O R shed ? 
      after doing some calculations and a little more contact with the seller, the answer to the 2 questions above is YES  ?
      I have hired a box van for this coming Saturday,shangied my brother in law to accompany me and..
      I'm going on an adventure to Bovey Tracy to dismantle it and give it a new home in sunny Lancashire,
      even though my DIY skills are rubbish i feel i have to give this a go,
      All in with the cost of The Obsey (as it is now known until i can think of something better) and with the hire van/fuel and brother in laws dinner
      it's going to set me back approximately £570 and a day out, I'm well chuffed with that, the cheapest quote i had to have one built was £1000
      I have a couple of pictures of the obsey in it's current location if anyone would like to see them,
      Sorry to waffle on so long,
      Thanks for reading
      JemC
    • By joecoyle
      Hi
      I've set my scope up on it's pier in my ROR observatory, done a few drift aligns and started to take some images. 
      I've noticed a 'quite' regular dip in my DEC line on several nights. 
      Would anyone be able to have a quick scan of my log and offer any insight?
      Could it be backlash? Could it be something with each rotation of the gears? Faulty tooth? 
      It is quite regular, although not always, and always in the same direction.
      It doesn't seem to be adversely affecting imaging yet, but I've not tried anything too taxing.
      Thanks
      Joe

PHD2_GuideLog_2018-09-23_200940.txt
    • By Wieben
      Hello all,
      The performance of the Mesu200 is unquestionable excellent, and I'm very happy with the performance I get from mine with a 10" Quattro riding on top. It performs very well handling a pixelresolution of 0.94" (camera resolution not the RMS which is much better of course).
      Planning for a future permanent setup under excellent seeing, I wonder if there are any users who has experience regarding the upper limit of the Mesu200 for photographic use.
      It's tempting to try with a large newton astrograph, but wonder how it would handle a weight close to 60 kg and 0.5" pixel resolution. Common sense tells me to aim for less and not go beyond 40 Kg/1600 mm focal length.
      Any thoughts?
      Br
      Heine
    • By maxchess
      Just starting my build and found advice of others really helpful. Appreciate views of others on my build before I get too far. I am building the Observatory for My HEQ5 with a short fast refractor for imaging and my LX90 SCT mainly for viewing, so my pier  must allow me to easily swap scopes if necessary.
      Design principles and interesting features:
      Basic design: Concrete Plinth + Altair Steel Pier + Off-the Peg Shed
      Pier: I chose the Altos pier because it looked sturdy and allowed some final leveling and North orientation after installation. It has a variety of fixing options and adapters, plus I might move and could take it with me. https://www.altairastro.com/altair-skyshed-8-observatory-pier.html
      Shed: Went for a 10 x 6 shed. Intend to build just a 6x6 roof, which will slide over the other 4 foot bit + 2 foot more. The four foot section will be the warm room with a flat roof. I can build the internal partition after the shed is erected. Wanted a Shed that could be easily adapted and found the "Rowlinson Premier Shiplap Apex Shed 6X10"  Price: £514.99  inc delivery This is good quality, but the real bonus is that the apex sections are separate. You build the four walls at level height and then the two apexes go on the ends. This will allow me to then easily adapt the design by attaching rails to the bottom box section and then wheels to the roof bit. The shed sides are also slightly taller than a standard shed at 172cms giving me some welcome headroom. The roof comes in sections, so building just the 6 foot bit looks straight forward (In theory). It is worth shopping around for sheds as the same model can be different prices on different sites.
      Wheels and Rail:    I think this bit is neat, I am using a wooden slotted fence posts as the rails.  Wheels: B&Q  TENTE FIXED CASTOR 45MM    product code 3700001799978 price £2.14 each  rated as 40kg each and I am using 8 of them for a 6 foot roof   Rails: B&Q NEVA HALF WOODEN FENCE POST 70X35X1800MM    product  3663602942825  £7 each and I am using two on each side for a total length of just under 12 foot. I looked at Aluminium rails but during a wander round B@Q I found these wood posts with grooves in them. I tried the wheels in store and it looks fine. Added advantage that they can also form part of my Obs structure. 
      Pier base: As per Altair instructions a very large hole in the ground filled with concrete. However my base is a plinth that protrudes 35cm above the base level. I calculated the height needed to elevate the pier so that my tallest mount (The LX90) would just fit under the closing roof. If I had mounted the pier at ground level I would have reduced my min elevation angle to 60 degrees for my shortest scope/mount combination. With the extra height I get down to 25 degrees, less if I raise the pier head. The pier also has a narrow central hole, so I have run a cable in a 12mm pipe through the concrete block and up through the middle of the pier.
      Shed Base: Paving stones laid after the pier is installed. I will run a 40mm pipe under the slabs to carry all the other cables to the pier.
      Today I completed the first stage and poured the concrete for the pier base and plinth as per the instructions on the altair web site.  The concrete goes  80cm below the ground and 45cm above, with a 10cm base that leaves a 35cm plinth. I used a wooden former to contain the concrete above ground. I made it of 9mm ply with screws every few inches. On top I attached a template holding the fixing bolts which were pressed into the soft concrete. Even so the weight of the concrete nearly burst the mold and I had to reinforce with paving slabs. See picture, but it looks fine now. See pictures)
      I should add that I employed a local garden handyman to dig the hole and pour the concrete. 
      The next stage is to lay the slabs for the base. Any comments most welcome, especially as they could save me from an imminent disaster, but so far so good.
      Max

• By astrocatinfo
      After a few months waiting for this astro jewel piece of equipment the Mesu 200 arrived a few weeks ago. From then on I designed the new adhoc designed pier.

I haven't started calibratring everything yet. The following days I will do so.

Right now very excited with the new setup!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.