Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus 26/2/17

mikeDnight

Unbelievably the sky cleared briefly enough to allow me a fleeting view of Venus. I couldn't believe my luck after almost giving up any hope of seeing the sky again. I rapidly set the scope up and managed to make a sketch of the planet before the clouds rolled in again.

Mike 

2017-02-26 18.47.53.jpg

2017-02-26 18.47.53.jpg

Nice bit of luck that Mike.
Nice sketch as always.

Did you think the terminator was a bit squiffy?
When I observed and sketched on the 24th I thought the terminator was flat at the 10 O'Clock position.
Your sketch looks similar, your thoughts?

29 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Nice sketch as always.

When I observed and sketched on the 24th I thought the terminator was flat at the 10 O'Clock position.

Hi Alan,

Do you mean 10 o'clock from north or from the top of the sketch shown? Did you make a sketch for comparison?

I rarely see the terminator as truly smooth! Although it varies, I can generally detect some shading extending away from the terminator, and at times bright areas against the terminator, which may even dip into the terminator. The details are always very subtle! I suppose an elongated brighter area along the terminator may give a flat impression.

Mike

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

Nice sketch as always.

I've just seen your sketch Alan and think the flat area may be the area of terminator between shaded extensions of the terminator.

Mike :happy11:

42 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I've just seen your sketch Alan and think the flat area may be the area of terminator between shaded extensions of the terminator.

Mike :happy11:

Mike, that makes sense.  
Sorry about the 10 O'clock bit, I still struggle with nothing has a right way up in space thing, after 20+ years I think I never will.
I meant from my own sketch, which may have a slight interpretation of up!

Archived